Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP OMEN X Laptop 17-ap0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey, guys. 

About a year ago I bought an HP OMEN X Laptop (model 17-ap0xx) which has been working like a charm so far. However, during the last couple of hours Im facing a weird problem. The "d" key is not working in the keyboard. I notice while typing that the key is ranomly being unresponsive until presse multiple times, but its been progressive and now even if I press it 20 times I get nothing. If I keep pressing it (for 10 secs or so) I get something like: dddd.

I take so much care of this laptop its kind of impossible for the keyboard to be deffective, and the warranty has alreay expired. I use it just a couple of days a month since I use my main PC at home for work.

Would this be solved by simply re-installing the keyboard drivers? If so, can anyone help me in oing it? Should I try something else?

Thank you very much in advance! If you need any more details, I'll try my best to provide. By the way, formatting the laptop is not a possibility right now, since Im using it for work while in quarentine due to COVId-19 at my family house.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Cokexvx

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Have you tried with a different keyboard?

Use HP PC Hardware Diagnostics to complete functional test of the keyboard and identify any problems with the hardware.

NOTE: Bluetooth devices are not currently supported.
  1. Download the latest version of HP PC Hardware Diagnostics.

2. In Windows, search for and right-click HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, and then select Run as administrator.

Run HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows as an administrator

3. Click Component Tests, click Input Devices, and then select the Keyboard Test.

Running the Keyboard Test

4. Click Run once to begin the test.

The test ends when you complete the tasks or after 3 minutes.

For more information about using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics for Windows, go to HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same problem on the same model and I did all the steps you suggested. Unfortunately without success. The D key still does not respond unless it is pressed hard or more than once. Absolutely unusable for a laptop. Should I try to ask for another reclamation (the laptop has been claimed with a completely identical defect before) ?

HP Recommended

@PromoCz

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Echo_Lake,

Thanks for your repply. Answering to your questions:

1) This did not happend after a recent windows update nor a software update. I was writing and all of a sudden I realized the "d" key was not working properly. I first thought I might not be pressing it well. Then I got worried and the problem was real. From pressing it once to get the letter, turned to ~4-5 clicks, then random... and in a couple of hours none.

2) I have not changed any hardware. I installed a few software, but I don't think there is a problem with that since I ended up resetting the notebook, and the problem persists.

3) Yes I have tried with an external keyboard, and works perfectly. Thus, I believe it is a keyboard-hardware problem. Nevertheless, I found it pretty weird because I have this laptop for one and a half year, but I actually never use it. To be honest, I'm really angry with all this. since I spent a lot of money on this notebook...

I tried the HP PC Hardware DIagnostics and it fails as im not able to get the "d" letter to get "green" in the diagnostics. Is there anything else I can do? I tried almost everything I found on the internet, but you are the HP guy, so any advice is much appreaciated. Also, do you know where can I find the keyboard repalcement and how much it is for my machine? I haven't been able to find it. Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Wow.. so same laptop and same problem? Weird... Maybe a deffective problem with HP OMEN X notebooks? Sadly, my warranty has already expired... Did you solved your problem? I even tried resetting it, but the problem persists. 

HP Recommended

@Cokexvx

This sounds like hardware related issue with the HP keyboard. Hence, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.