Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15t-n200
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Ok, I need to consult the Hive Mind bc I am at a loss. I have an HP Pavilion 15t-n200 laptop, running Windows 7. And I have been having power issues.

The issue is (Within the last 2-3 weeks): My laptop turns OFF every time it goes to sleep when it's plugged in (without running through the usual shut down of Windows.). And won't turn back on unless I unplug it, take the battery out, and put it back in again. AND, if I turn it off before plugging it in, it doesn't charge the battery.

I have replaced the battery with a "new" one. (It was a generic and it said it had 88 days on the battery) I have run through calibration on the battery four times. I have taken the battery out, hit the power button, and drained the battery down and recharged it. But it charges fine - I get about 2-3 hrs on it. That doesn't seem to be the problem.

I have recently placed the adapter. Laptop does the same thing.

My power options have not changed. It still goes to sleep when I shut the case, and powers back on when I open it up/hit the keyboard.

I have gone in and deleted/reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery in the Device Manager.

My Windows is up-to-date.
Running Avast Virus Scan, which is uptodate and computer is clean.
Malwarebytes and Adware have both been updated and run, and clean.
Cache/RecycleBin/Cookies etc have been cleaned.
HD has been defragged. I have tried to restore Windows to a previous version, but it tells me that it can't for some reason.

Does anyone have any idea what I could do or check? What's my next step?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @K_Y1,

Thanks for stopping by the HP forums. Good day! 🙂 I reviewed the post the about the computer shutting down when plugged in. It will be a delight to assist you here. 🙂

Terrific effort, splendid troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting.  Kudos to you on that score. 🙂  You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Did this happen after a bios, software or windows update? Do you know?
  • Have you tried to backup everything and reinstall windows to factory settings (performing a system recovery)
  • Have you checked if it shuts down in the bios also?

For starters, please try these steps.

Please uninstall the graphics drivers from device manager.

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> Display adapters>then select the display drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the graphics drivers.
  • Please check the box that says “delete the software for this device”.
  • Then restart the computer and check again.
  • Then update the bios, chipset and graphics drivers from this link:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC-series/6529953/model/6787... Please check if this fixes the issue.

Also, reset power plans to defaults. Change the power plan to High performance.

If it does not, leave the computer in the bios with the charger plugged in and check if it shuts down. If it shuts down, then the computer has a hardware issue and it needs to be serviced. As this is an older computer and not manufactured anymore by HP, service options for this product may no longer be available with HP. Please contact a local Best Buy or Staples technician to get the unit repaired.

If it does not shut down in bios with the charger plugged in, then please perform a system recovery to factory settings after backing up your files. Link for recovery: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01867418 Please follow the most relevant link that best suits the situation.

Hope this helps.   I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you always. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helpsplease mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

David,

Thanks for getting back in touch with me.  Let me see if I can answer appropriately with what I've done.

First: I don't believe this happened after an update, or at least not one I was aware of.  I usually try and keep an eye out for stuff like that, and I don't believe there was anything specific that occurred, outside of replacing the battery the week beforehand.  I thought that might be the issue, but it acted the same way when I put in the old battery again.

I tried to follow your instructions as best I could:

- First, I reset all the power plans to default and switched it to "High performance."

- I uninstalled the graphics adapter per your instructions and restarted the computer.  It did NOT shut off when plugged in and I closed the lid. I closed it without being plugged in, plugged it in while closed, etc all kinds of tests to get it to shut off like it had been.  It did NOT shut off, but continue to be in it's regular state (albeit with really big graphics as I didn't change the resolution.)

- I tried to update the BIOS.  I DL'ed the file, ran it, the file updated the BIOS, verified the BIOS update,  and then the computer shut off and would not start again, until I unplugged it, pulled out the battery, and reinserted the battery again.  The laptop rebooted, said something about "Flashing the Boot Drive" or something, and shut off.  AGAIN, it would not restart by pressing the button until I took the battery out, etc etc. However, once rebooted, computer did NOT shut off when the lid was closed, and plugged in.  Again, I ran through the tests. the computer still did not shut off.

- I tried to update the Chipset.  I DL'ed the file, ran it, the file updated the chipset, but then told me the chipset wasn't installed correctly that I had to reinstall it.  So I did that three times. I restarted the machine - again, the computer did NOT shut off when plugged in and the lid was closed. All the other tests were the same.

- I tried to update the NVidia Graphics. I DL'ed the file, ran it, the System Check told me it could not find any graphics hardware and that NVidia was not compatible with my version of Windows.  I did that three times.  I finally ran Recovery Manager, and reinstalled the NVidia Graphics from THAT program.  Restarted, and tested and machine.  Again, because it's on High Performance, the machine is NOT going to sleep, and does NOT shut off when plugged in and the lid is closed.

I shut down the laptop.  The laptop would NOT start up when the button was pressed until I unplugged it, pulled the battery out, and reseated it, etc.

So, what is my next course of action?  I have NOT factory reset everything (as that's quite a chore.)  SHOULD that be my next step?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Oh!  I also restarted the computer just to the BIOS Set-up screen.  It did NOT shut down when I closed the lid with it either plugged in or not.  It still stayed in it's active state.

However, again, I had it set to "sleep" when the lid was closed previously.  I still have not commanded it to Sleep. I don't know if that would mae the difference.

HP Recommended

Hi @K_Y1,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Thanks for the super quick reply. You've been simply amazing to work with considering your profound technical skills and levels of technical expertise.  Kudos to you for a job brilliantly done. Smiley HappyThe bios would not come into play here, though. 

Did you update the bios, chipset and graphics drivers and check if it works? If you have please try these steps out.

Step 1: Enabling the Keyboard in Windows

Follow these steps to enable your keyboard to wake your computer.

< >In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager.Click the arrow next to Keyboards and double-click the name of your keyboard.If the Power Management tab is available, proceed to the next step.Click the Power Management tab and make sure that the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer is checked.Click OK, and then test to make sure that the keyboard can now wake the computer. If the computer still cannot wake from sleep mode, continue using these steps.For instructions on how to update the BIOS of your computer, see one of the following HP support documents: Updating the BIOS (Notebooks) (Skip, if you've already done it).

Click here for further assistance: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/My-HP-Envy-15-ae124TX/m-p/60038...

If this does not work, then a system recovery should be done to isolate the issue to not being hardware related.

Also, if a recovery also does not fix the issue the computer needs to be serviced by contacting HP phone support.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved and the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time.

Trust me I've done everything here to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. Smiley Happy You've  been absolutely superb to work with, by displaying great technical skills. Smiley Happy I thank you again for your time. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 

You take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

David,
Thanks for your kind words.

As I said prevously, I HAVE updated the BIOS (or at least think I did, following the steps you requested.)

However, do with whatever it is that I've done, putting the computer to sleep is no longer an option.  So, currently, I am in the long process of trying to go thru all my personal things on the laptop, in order to do a complete factory reset.  I know the Recovery process will allow me to backup things, but I'd just as soon go through everything to make sure I have what I want to keep.

I"ll let you know how THAT turns out as soon as it's completed.
Thank you for taking the time to assist me.

HP Recommended

David,

Ok, I reset my laptop to its factory settings. A Clean Total install, and rebooted the computer. When shut down, the computer STILL does not turn on when plugged in.  However, as soon as I unplugged it, I was able to hit the power button and it started up fine.

I closed the lid and the laptop went to sleep fine, and restarted when I opned it back up and hit the keyboard.

I closed the lid a third time, to put the machine asleep.... and when I plugged it back in, it shut off. And I had to unplug it to restart the machine.  However, I no longer had to pull the battery out in order for it to restart.  As soon as it was unplugged, it restarted by hitting the power button.  *Sigh*

So, it appeared it's most likely a hardware problem.  I'm going to update the BIOS, Chipset, and Graphics drivers from the link you originally posted, but it doesn't appear like it will make a difference.  I'll let you know.

[later]

Well, I went through the HP Support Assistant and updated what I needed, and the problem still persists.
I guess it's a hardware problem.

Thank you for you time and assistance. I appreciate what you did to help me. 

HP Recommended

Hi! @K_Y1, I am the MrRobot. It looks like you were interacting with @DavidSMP, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

Please update BIOS, chipset and graphics driver on your PC sometimes it would make a difference.

Even after updating the drivers if the issue still persists it is a hardware issue.

Please contact HP support for service options. Link to contact HP.

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.