Did you mean: 
kendohawk
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

laptop very poor performance out of box

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab25

My mum got my dad a new laptop for his birthday. 

i took it out the box to setup and it was extremely slow . 

The

HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab254sa (ENERGY STAR)

2gb ram and runs with windows 10 ? which is strange as you recommend 4gb ram for windows 10 . 

he got months ago and thought maybe just because it was new . But it still runs so slow . takes ages to open windows .

I looked under it to see if i can upgrade the ram but the laptop looks sealed ?

When i search for issues on this you just give advice to clear computer files etc run scans when its not even been used .

Its so bad hes went back to his old laptop which has smaller specs and older operating system and this runs faster than this .

ive tried searching for the number to phone up and sort this but all i can get through to is this forum?

The laptop is just sitting in a cupboard now as its so slow and my parents dont know what to do 

any help please 

kind regards

kenny 

6 REPLIES 6
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,987 10,966 1,023 3,117
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The spec page for that laptop indicates it has 8GB of ram.  Also it has Intel® Core™ i5-5200U with Intel HD Graphics 5500 (2.2 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)  which should be adequate for most chores.  Perhaps it needs service.  If it has been working in this acceptable manner since new, has a reset been preformed F10 during boot?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
kendohawk
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hey firstly thanks for fast reply . no it defo has 2gb of ram here below you can see i copid from the laptop.

Also there cant be anything that needs serviced as its a brandnew laptop . 

why would hp make a sealed laptop with 2gb for windows 10 when they recommend 4gb +

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.10240 Build 10240
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-IL6P9Q4
System Manufacturer HP
System Model HP Notebook
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU P0F64EA#ABU
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3050 @ 1.60GHz, 1601 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.1A, 13/10/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 95.19
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10240.16392"
Username DESKTOP-IL6P9Q4\kenma
Time Zone GMT Summer Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.86 GB
Available Physical Memory 136 MB
Total Virtual Memory 3.70 GB
Available Virtual Memory 430 MB
Page File Space 1.84 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Looking up the specs for the model in the last post

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MRURT87

Notice this is not the HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab254sa that was indicated in the first post.

I can see where this particular device has definite shortcomings.  Since that is the case, how long ago was it purchased?  It would seem to be a candidate for return, if possible or use on a less demanding OS, IE Linux.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!

kendohawk
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hey thanks for helping . when i came to the support i typed in the serial number and thats what came up .

my mum bought it at christmas for my dad there from tesco for my dad . she doesnt know much about laptops.

Why are hp doing a laptop with these specs for windows 10 ? i would happily downgrade if i can get the drivers for it . or return ? any ideas how i could go about this . 

thanks kenny 

kflash08
Level 4
100 87 3 16
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Looking at the specs that you listed, I see some potential problems.

First, as you indicated, the 2GB of RAM. You probably could get by with that only if the installed verison of Windows was 32-bit. 64-bit versions do require at least 4GB of memory for optimal performance. You mentioned that the available physical memory was 136 MB, which means that ~ 90% of the 2GB of memory is in use, and any running services or programs will likely use that free amount of RAM and bog down performance. Why HP thought 2GB was acceptable for a 64-bit operating system is beyond me.

Second is the processor. If you are able to upgrade the RAM in the computer to at least 4 GB, you should definitely see an increase in speed. However, the Intel Celeron is a budget processor and therefore lacks certain features that would help improve the performance of the computer. For general internet usage and non-demanding programs, the Celeron is fine. But applications involving the 3D gaming, video editing, CAD, high resolution video, etc. you will likely see some lag or other performance issues.

TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Notice that I commented on Linux.  There are Linux Live versions that can be tested to see the performance of the hardware is acceptable.  Since I do not see a CD/DVD drive, then it would need to be as USB.  But investigate that as an alternative for a free OS.  Linux typically can perform on limited hardware such as this laptop has, and perform quite well, compared to Windows.

I'm not an HP employee.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation