Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 6 (121 Views)

m.2 nvme

Product Name: hp envy x360 15-052sa
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop currently running with m.2 sata ssd.Can I replace with samsung 960evo which is nvme ssd?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 6 (96 Views)

Re: m.2 nvme

Hey there! @ACC7

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you would like to know whether you can replace the m.2 SATA SSD with Samsung 960evo.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

I have checked the product specifications of your PC the M.2 SSD on your PC is only for caching to increase the performance of your PC.

If the SSD you are trying to replace matches the below specifications you can replace the SSD, also the SSD you are replacing should match the physical dimensions on your laptop.

256-MB, M2.2280, PCIe 3×4SS, NVMe, solid-state drive supporting TLC (for use only on computer models equipped with an AMD A9-9410 processor) 847109-001

Refer the product manual for more information.

Hope this helps!

Have a pleasant day ahead! Smiley Tongue)

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 3 of 6 (90 Views)

I tried to replace m.2 2280 sata ssd  SanDisk SD8SNAT-128G-1006 (163058427848) to Samsung 960 evo nvme ssd and computer not recognize that as bootable drive. SanDisk is with sata III interface but samsung is PCI Express 3.0 x4

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 6 (82 Views)

@ACC7, Thanks for your quick response and time.

As I told you in my previous post you cannot use the SSD drive as a bootable drive, On your PC you can only use it for caching. 

SSD caching is intended to provide improved performance for computers that use traditional hard drives in a way that is both cost effective and easy to configure. This is done by using a small, relatively cheap SSD drive to cache or store commonly accessed data. Since SSDs are much faster than traditional hard drives, this allows the computer to read the cached data much faster than if it had to read the same data directly from the hard drive.

SSD caching reduces the time it takes to load commonly used programs, but there is a limit to the benefits. If the data is already stored in the computer's RAM, then SSD caching does not improve load times at all since the computer's RAM is much faster than even the fastest SSD drive currently on the market. The main advantage of SSD cache comes into play when booting into Windows or when a program is run for the first time after a reboot or power off. Since the data in RAM gets cleared each time the computer powers cycles, the data is not present in the RAM whereas it is still present on the SSD cache drive. 

Hope this answers your query!

Cheers! Smiley Happy

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 5 of 6 (78 Views)

Ok.So what i have to do if i replace ssd,to go clone old ssd to new one and replace or what?If I just replacing it says no operating system found.

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 6 (73 Views)

@ACC7, thanks for your quick response and time.

There are two types of non-Physical Interface. AHCI and NVMe.

AHCI
(Advanced Host Controller Interface) is the same protocol used by SATA SSDs.

NVMe
(NonVolatile-Memory Express) is a protocol designed specifically for SSD storage. It shares nothing with SATA and replaces AHCI with a better method of dealing with solid state storage. PCIe NVMe SSDs also have their own NVMe storage controller built into the drive.

Installation on Windows 7 can be difficult, especially with a PCIe NVMe SSD drive.

The BIOS on your laptop should support EFI boot loader.

Since your laptop does not support you cannot boot from m.2 SSD drive.

Have a great day ahead! Smiley Happy

MrRobot
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation