Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
omen 17t-cb100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

What are the m.2 slots -- 2.0 or 3.0? Are they both the same or is one slower than the other? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Rick5590d 

You can use PCIe 3.0 drive. 3.0 is newer than 2.0 and normally faster.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Rick5590d 

You can use PCIe 3.0 drive. 3.0 is newer than 2.0 and normally faster.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

What I am trying to find out is what the two slots on my motherboard support; 2.0 or 3.0? And are they both the same? If not, which is which.

I had a Samsung 970 Evo plus installed, and it was slower than the original drive. The read/write was about half the rating of the drive, and the benchmark went way down from the original drive. I believe the tech who installed it put it in the second slot instead of where the original M.2 drive was installed. I am thinking that maybe the slot he put it in does not support 3.0 but the one that had the original drive in it does, and all I have to do is put the new drive in the other slot to get performance out of it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.