Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I want to upgrade the drive in my computer but i have some questions.  The First is the ssd connector on the board.  When i took it apart some time ago i saw i had a m.2 connector on the board.  when i looked at the service manual it only refferenced msata.  my question is is it infact a m.2 and if so does it support pci-e and what length is it designed for?  also can i use the 2.5 sata connector as sell as the m.2/msata ( what ever it may be)  at the same time.  the few pictures i have found of the board only shows one mounting stud and if memory serves me right that is all that this computer has.  al

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The series supports

Dual Storage Configuration for HP Envy 17 computer models
● 1TB (5400) 9.5mm + 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD (TLC)
● 1TB (5400) 9.5mm + 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD (MLC)

1. >>> a m.2 and if so does it support pci-e and what length is it designed for?

As shown above

2. >>> can i use the 2.5 sata connector as sell as the m.2/msata ( what ever it may be)  at the same time.

Yeas, you can replace exsitsing 1TB on your machine now with SSD and you can use M.2 SSD and normal SSD at the same time.

3. sorry, I can't work out your question. Please post picture(s).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

The series supports

Dual Storage Configuration for HP Envy 17 computer models
● 1TB (5400) 9.5mm + 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD (TLC)
● 1TB (5400) 9.5mm + 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD (MLC)

1. >>> a m.2 and if so does it support pci-e and what length is it designed for?

As shown above

2. >>> can i use the 2.5 sata connector as sell as the m.2/msata ( what ever it may be)  at the same time.

Yeas, you can replace exsitsing 1TB on your machine now with SSD and you can use M.2 SSD and normal SSD at the same time.

3. sorry, I can't work out your question. Please post picture(s).

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

the problem im having is that the service manual dosent match what i remember seeing when i took the machine to peices nor does it match the pictures i found on google.  but the pictures i found on google match what  remember seeing.  I only want to open it one more time and i want to do all the upgrades i can at once.

as m.2 ssd's come is a  different form factors (Length) i would like to know what form factor this machine uses. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

It uses 2280 (80mm) as mentioned on page 3 of the manual.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended
Thank you I completely missed that.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.