Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

my laptop currently has a quadro m2000m and i want to upgrade it for gaming, can you tell me what GPU's i can upgrade too?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I happen to have a Zbook 15 G3 that originally came with Intel integrated video only and I found a good deal on the MXM video card and heatsink needed to add a dedicated video card. I also have the M2000M which is about equal to a GeForce 940M and is OK for what I do which is a little video editing and photoshop type work and it could play older less demanding games but ain't a gamer. 

I found where some guy claims he upgraded his Zbook 17 G3 which is essentially the same motherboard to a GeForce GTX 980M:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/hp-zbook-17-g3-owners-lounge.788223/page-5

It is physically the same form factor as the M2000M and can use the same heatsink. 

There is obviously no HP version of this card and I found prices between $460 and nearly $800:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-GTX-980M-8GB-MXM-LAPTOP-VIDEO-GRAPHICS-CARD-FOR-MSI-DELL-SAGER-ALIEN...

The GTX 980M would be a good gamer. I have also seen that it can be upgraded to an M3000M or an M5000M which may be a bit less risky. 

HP Recommended

I am also interested to do this, but wouldn't the different power requirements (about 55W for the M2000M vs. 103W for the 980M) create an issue? Any danger that the higher power draw might fry something on the mainboard?

I also noticed: On the Eurocom VGA site, it says for a 980M upgrade kit "Your notebook must have at least a 240W AC Adapter to use this Video Card!". But the zBook 15 G3 only has a 150W power supply.

HP Recommended

Yes upgrading to an MXM video card not listed in the Manual is risky. All kinds of things can go wrong even catastrophically wrong. 

HP Recommended

You can upgrade the 17" to M3000M but not the 15". 15" has a single size MXM video card slot, which can't accommodate M3000M and also not enough power to feed it. You may try the newer P2000M or even T2000M but you should modify the GPUs BIOS so the motherboard recognizes it and that may be tricky or impossible.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.