Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hello experts,

i have a HP Pavilion dv5-1036ez Entertainment Notebook PC. with windows 7 ultimate OS.

my problem is i can no longer play dvd's or burn dvd's. this just started very recently. i haven't installed any new programs or deinstalled anything. i can play cd's . i have a Optiarc DVD RW AD-7561S ATA device.

when i go into device manager it is there. i have deleted the drivers and reinstalled and i still have the problem that dvd's don't play. they don't even get recognised, when i insert a dvd/dvd-r/dvd+r the tray just opens back and i get a message saying please insert media. when i go into the device properties under generaal it says the device is working properly.. under the details tab under value  it says CD-ROM Drive. i hope this info helps you help me. i would really like to get to watch my dvd's on my laptop again. i hAVE also downloaded the hp support assistant and that was no help as it also couldn't test (read/burn) the dvd. as the tray kept popping out asking to insert dvd. i've done all updates, all drivers are up to date.

thanx for the help in advance

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hello Lia-B,

Try this link to the Microsoft Fix-It tool that address problems reading and/or writing to cds/dvds.  It automatically deletes the upper and lower registry filters for your dvd drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

Simply click on the "Run Now" button on the webpage.  Good luck!

"I'm looking for a laptop that looks like it's wrapped in super-rich, smoothed out tangerine peels." -TheMusicMaker
HP Recommended

i did this, as i wrote above.......i keep getting the message  insert a supported disc so it can run the check. i have inserted CD/DVD/DVD-R/DVD+R originals  and copied disk and nothing gets recognised. so running the fix it doesn't help

HP Recommended

I have an ENVY 17 with the exact same problem.

HP Recommended

Did you find an answer for this problem as I have exactly the same problem and can't figure it out? You answer would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

I got fed up waiting and found a re-furbished device. This seems to be the only way out as HP do not seem to accept the fact that there is a problem. Sorry.

HP Recommended

Thank you.

HP Recommended

same problem occured in my laptop dv6 as well:

messege

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  I have a Compaq Presario CQ50-110 notebook and I was watching a DVD.  After that I haven't been able to get the drive to read any CD or DVD.  Please help.

HP Recommended

Solutions

@dmcclen wrote:

I have the same problem.  I have a Compaq Presario CQ50-110 notebook and I was watching a DVD.  After that I haven't been able to get the drive to read any CD or DVD.  Please help.

Hi, the error code that you have is a known issue from Microsoft that needs a registry tweaks. Error code means "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (code 39)". You can click on this link for your reference http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

2. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Caution There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before modifying the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default data value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class data value is CDROM.
3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

This will surely help you resolve your issue. Good Luck!!!

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.