cancel
Moinur Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

overheat - dv6t QE (LM720AV)

Hey, this laptop i purchased about 2-3 years ago and lately (about a week or two ago) my gpu temperature as skyrocketed to a constant 85-90 degrees Celsius.  Also when i turn on my laptop, an error shows up for my cooliing fan, error 90B...  I disassembled the dv6t QE and took out my video card and all to check the fan if it was dusty, and checked the thermal paste.  I used alcohol to clean the thermal paste off the platform and reapplied to make a small thin layer on the gpu.  This still hasnt fixed my temperature problem.  Also i have no idea why i am gettin a 90b error about my cooling fan when the fan itself is clean... please someone help.... and the gpu overheats when i play video games, more specifically World of Warcraft, and it has not overheat this high before.  I used to raid and i would sit around 75 degrees Celsius, now 86-93 for the past week...

5 REPLIES 5
Moinur Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I realised something is wrong with my GPU fan, sometimes it works and my GPU is around 75-77 Degrees C and sometimes it does not work, i can tell if it works or not by the sound it makes, PLEASE HELP!

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,947 2,806 126 324
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Moinur,

For troubleshooting the 90B error message that you are getting, the following document 'System Fan (90b) error message on startup'. This will take you through the necessary troubleshooting steps to hopefully resolve the issue.

As well with the temperature of your computer being so high, I have included the document 'Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating'.

Please let me know if the error is resolved and your computer goes back to normal temperature, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Moinur Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I really appreciate you for this, I will go check if it helps or not =] 

0 Kudos
SR85 Honor Student
Honor Student
5 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Moinur,

I'm having the exact same problem and I have the same laptop as well. Were you able to find a solution?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
41,327 39,784 6,205 10,769
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is a 4 year old thread. If you need help please start your own. Doubtful any of these folks still monitor this Forum. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation