Tutor
20 11 0 2
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

poor touchpad design

Stream 11 laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is anybody out there  with a new type touchpad that has no visable buttons .

I am finding it very difficult to control easily - is it me or my machine.

Fistly I had to disable 2 fingure scroll  because if I hovered too near the lift click section of the pad whils moving the cursor it scrolled instead 

I had to disable tapping because it it too sensitive 

Secondly the left and rightclick areas on the pad are not symetrical . the right click area is small and near the front but the left click is virtually anywhere else ,

The physical click sound happens without a software responseresulting in having to press it several times to get a response

Overall I find using the buttons very unproductive as I get so many false operations especially as the pad lacks any physical textures etc  that allow the user to feel where their finger is when they try to click the correct button . There is little real difference between the textures of touchpad and the surrounding areas .

As seams to be the moderm idium - Style and looks over function and useability  

Incidetly does anyone know if I can allocate keys on the keyboard to act as buttons or some external proper buttons 

My only solution is to return to using a TrackBall but it defeats the one box convenience of a Laptop . Much better than using a mouse which needs an open area to move about .

I would like to ask the company if my Touchpad is working correctly but find it virtually  impossibe on the 3 times I have tried to raise a suitable response . 

A good picture is worth a Thousand Words
8 REPLIES 8
Retired
Retired
971 891 41 165
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

poor touchpad design

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Please take a moment to read HP's Privacy Policy at http//www8.hp.com/us/en/privacy/ww-privacy.html .

TechSurge
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

crauck Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

poor touchpad design

Hi, colin23erk. I've had exactly the same experience with my Sleekbook m6-k010dx.

Thing One: Since I can type, I have to be hyper-vigilant not to get any body parts anywhere near the touchpad. Which is impossible, and so work is constantly lost or scrambled or usually both. Very frustrating. I, too, had to originally turn off all the cute little gestures so I could use it at all. Just today I finally learned how to turn off the whole dumb thing--such a relief!  (btw, it's Control panel > Hardware and devices > Mouse > "ClickPad" tab > check the "disable" box indented and about mid-way down) Unfortunately, turning it off is not a good solution since it's really convenient to have cursor control at your thumbs so you don't have to move a hand off the keyboard. 

Didn't the actually useable older touchpads have a little light in the upper-left corner that you could double-tap to turn off or on? And now all that's improved by clicking five times to turn it off plus all the clicks to close the control boxes. Yup, big improvement there.

Thing Two:  I finally get it! It's called a "clickpad" because the click-buttons are integrated into the touchpad! How nice. Anyway, the button section of mine keeps getting stuck and won't move so won't click. I've had it in for service a couple times and it always works then. Back home, the corners are stuck again and won't click at all.

Yup, I agree, colin. In my house, we've had nothing but HPs for many years but I'm about done with them. It's as though too many design teams and managers never use their own products. If they did, somebody would have put the brakes on the ClickPad. C'mon, HP, enough with the  "oooh, shiny!" stuff. 

0 Kudos
colin23erk Tutor
Tutor
20 11 0 2
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

poor touchpad design

Hello Crauck 

Thanks for the understanding about what my problem is - the poor design of the PC .

In my oppinion Multiple use Items rarely have the simple usability of of single purpose ones . On the Clickpad  clicking and moving the curser conflict with each other . I'm not sure where the actual switches are on mine - I expected them to be in the front corners where the dedicated buttons were .

You said you had problems with sticking - I wonder if something like that is happening . I find that after I have made a click the click pad is biased towards that side and I need to click on the extreme edge of the other side to get it to behave correctly 

I am buying a small wireless mouse to use instead of the clickpad buttons and use the touchpad just to move the cursor 

Before I started usin Laptops with built in Touchpads I prefered a Trackball as you could rest your had on it in one place

I share your view on designers not using their own designs .

Before computers I felt that about houses . My view is that they should be made to live in their designs for a couple of months to find out all the bad things they had created.

Next are consultants who give plenty of advice but none of them are tried and tested - They are not there or take any resposibiliy when things go wrong 

Colin 

0 Kudos
crauck Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

poor touchpad design

Ah, yes, consultants, the seagulls of Tech: fly in, dump a load of "wisdom," fly back out, and leave the rest of us to clean up after them, no?

I personally prefer free-range mice to track balls but, now that you mention them, think I'll reconsider since I usually use a laptop in a constricted area with little or no free range. Thanks.

I have another HP, a ProBook, with touchpad and separate buttons, and even the little diode at top left to double-tap on/off. Another touchy one that scrambles your work. But you should be able to tap it off, right? Au contraire, mon frere. You have to download a different driver, and if you hold your mouth just right you might actually convince it to install. Maybe it'll control the double-tap. Uh-huh. HP did make at least one earlier model with the on/off diode that actually worked just right - upon which they improved by removing that control from the driver.  This is apparently a known issue that only a consultant would have suggested fixing by going to the ClickPad. I think none of these people ever use their products for plain old ordinary work.

May they be forced at the business end of a cattle prod to live forever in their houses!

(I think I still have an old Toshiba from mid-1990s. Might run at the speed of cooling lava now, but it WORKED beautifully.)

0 Kudos
colin23erk Tutor
Tutor
20 11 0 2
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

poor touchpad design

Thanks for your interest you sound like a man after my own heart . I'm getting long in the tooth ( those I have left LOL ) Been there got the TeeShirt

Colin 

0 Kudos
colin23erk Tutor
Tutor
20 11 0 2
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

poor touchpad design

I think I have found out what is wrong and why I get a lot of wrong press happenings  .

If my right hand finger that I use for navigating  the cursor is still lighly touching the pad then if I click the left  of the pad it is interpreted as a "RightClick" and not the intended "left Click " that I needed. Looks as if there is only a single switch whos outcome is controlled by where the pad is touched and in my case the second touch when I try to left click is ignored in favour of the navigating position touch 

My normal way I use  my phyisical"Button Touchpad" is to navigate to the option I want to use with my right finger  , then hold  it in that position ( otherwise it moves) ,whist I click on the Left click Button .

Its so frustrating - it has caused me to loose all my work 

0 Kudos
colin23erk Tutor
Tutor
20 11 0 2
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

poor touchpad design

Update

– looks like that is the way it should work and that is its default settings

Think I have found a work around the suits me 

Go to Mouse Properties

> click[Click Pad Settings

> click on [Clicking]

> then on right of box -click Gear icon [Settings]

a series of options appear

>on [two-finger action] >select “disable” option

> on [corner click action] >select “ Secondary Click ( context Menu)" option .

So far the mouse buttons appear to be behaving more like a normal

Touchpad for me 

0 Kudos
Merry3 Top Student
Top Student
3 2 1 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

poor touchpad design

I agree. This is my first Notebook (I always bought HP laptops) and since there's no on/off button on this Silver Turbo Notebook touchpad I tried disabling it in Device Manager and for that session it was disabled but the touchpad still came back on each time I started up. Finally had to call tech support. They remote accessed and disabled the touchpad. I always use a mouse.  

Additionally I find that the sharp edge design of this Notebook is rough on my arms. I like to keep my wrist and arm on the Notebook as I type and the edges of the Notebook leave indentations on my arms. I had to put a soft plastic pad on the Notebook edge to be comfortable. I never had this problem with the laptops.

Although I no longer need all the bells and whistles of a laptop I'm realizing how much I do miss some that this Silver Turbo Notebook just doesn't have.  

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation