Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-DB0005DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good Evening. I have an HP 15-DB0005DX laptop that I want to put a second solid state hard  drive in (Samsung EVO 850). The oem is a 128gb m2 which I will leave in, I ordered the bracket and connector board (Hard drive bracket  part number L20455-001 and Hard drive connector board    part number L20454-001) from Impact Computers and I thought the ribbon cable would come with them but it didn't so I have to order it now. In the mean time When I put the battery back in and assemble the computer it says  check sum error and defaults to the original bios and will not start on the battery, just the ac until I download and update the bios, why it this.

Thanks, Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@spydermike

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@spydermike,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Are you facing this issue after installing the second SSD?
  • Have you checked the computer after removing the additional SSD?

Meanwhile, I recommend you update the SSD firmware and the graphics driver from the below link and check if it helps.

SSD firmware: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp94501-95000/sp94885.exe

Graphics: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp96501-97000/sp96540.exe

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I haven't installed the 2nd ssd yet. Someone on the forum said I needed the bracket and the connector board so I ordered them. They did not say I also needed the ribbon cable, I thought it would come with the board. I have now ordered that. The problem happens every time I open up the computer and take the battery out and reassemble it. I will try the 2 links you supplied,  The bracket was already in when I opened it up so I have to return it. Thanks, Mike

HP Recommended

When I run the first file it either errors or says it's already on the computer and the second file says it's already on the computer

HP Recommended

@spydermike,

Does this happen only once after connecting the battery?

Are you able to start the computer with the battery after 1st restart?

Help me with the above information to provide you with an accurate solution.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It happens everytime I disassemble the laptop (including removing the battery) and put it all back together with the battery installed but using the ac it always comes up with the checksum error and says it will default to the original bios . When I use the ac It will start but not without the ac plugged in until I update the bios. 

HP Recommended

@spydermike,

I recommend you download and install the BIOS from the below link and check if it helps.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp96501-97000/sp96809.exe

Also, replace the CMOS battery and check.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've dl the file and updated, maybe tonite I'll take it apart and see. I also received the ribbon cable for the second hd, Does it matter which end goes where, one end is blue. Thanks, Mike

HP Recommended

Well, I took it apart again and put the cable in to the 2nd hard drive and restarted it and it still will not start on battery  only and I still do not see the 2nd hard drive

HP Recommended

I took it apart again and reset the 2nd hd cable and now it is there. 

When Initially tried to start it up on batt only now it did the same, nothing happened. I plug it in and it comes up with the cmos checksum is invalid. The cmos will reset to the default configuration

cmos reset 502

enter-reboot the system

for more info go to www.hp.com/techcenter/startup

i did not see anything that looks like a cmos battery to ck. After I get it up and running I unplugged it and it ran fine I and restarted it on batt only several times and it started every time, but if I disassemble it and remove the batt we go thru the whole same sequence again

Thanks, Mike

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.