Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13t-ap000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Spectre x360 - 13t-ap000 CTO has 

2 USB 3.1 Type C Gen 2 Thunderbolt 3 (Data up to 40 Gb/s, Power Delivery, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge).

My 4K monitor has this 

Thunderbolt 3 x 1 (Power Delivery 85W, DP alt mode, Data)

Thunderbolt 3 x 1 (Power Delivery 15W, DP alt mode, Data)

When I connect the HP Thunderbolt 3 to the 4K Monitor Thunderbolt 3 (PD 85W),  get the below error

Power surge on the USB port

A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port

However, when I connect the HP Thunderbolt 3 to the 4K Monitor Thunderbolt 3 (PD 15W), it works but need the HP charger also connected.

HP laptop Windows and all drivers are upto-date. 

Why is the Power surge issue happens with PD 85W?

Anyone with this problem?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@smartaus Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the HP Spectre Thunderbolt 3" to "4K Monitor Thunderbolt 3 Port with PD 85W" throws Power Surge.

Try a hard reset -

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Unplug all the Adapter and peripherals connected. 
3) Press and hold down the power button for 15 to 20 seconds. 
4) Plug-in the Adapter. 
5) Try to turn on the computer. 

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

@Praveen196.

Thanks for reaching out. 

Before I posted into this community, I made sure all those suggestions were checked. 

However after your post, I tried the hard reset and can confirm there is no updates to Windows and HP support assistant.

I am using Windows 10 Pro, version 2004.

Can you confirm my HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ap0xxx (4CJ13AV) does support Thunderbolt 3 PD 85W?

Is there a Thunderbolt 3 driver to be updated?

I thought Thunderbolt 3 should  negotiate the power with the host to prevent the surge.

HP Recommended

@smartaus

I understand your concerns.

Please update the thunderbolt driver and check.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp100501-101000/sp100927.exe

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp100501-101000/sp100927.exe

I got the message "The driver is not supported on this OS version (10.0.19041)"

I am using Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), version 2004.

HP Recommended

@smartaus

Try downloading this Softpaq https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98501-99000/sp98906.exe

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

sp98906.exe - Opened up HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 and got message "Device not connected". I don't have this dock.

My 4K monitor - Benq PD3220U

https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/designer/pd3220u/specifications.html

My HP laptop - HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ap0xxx (4CJ13AV) 

running Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), version 2004 (10.0.19041).

Back to the problem, this 4K monitor (Benq PD3220U) has two Thunderbolt 3 ports - one supporting 85W and another 15W. 

Connecting laptop to monitor 15W port: The laptop connects fine with the 15W port.  Thunderbolt Controller in the laptop has read the monitor and is included as part of the approved devices.  Also I noticed this time , I don't need the laptop charger plugged in. 

Connecting laptop to 85W port: The USB power surge message. Monitor is not deducted. 

Is it possible to get someone in HP to verify whether this laptop Thunderbolt 3 can connect to 85W port in this monitor?

HP Recommended

@smartaus If none of that helped, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.