Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hello,

Suddenly the "backspace," "g" and "h" keys stopped working. Due to this issue, I can't log in to use my computer. 

Please, help.

I have a Pavilion g7-1260 us Notebook PC, Windows 7.

Please help becasue I can't use my laptop at all.

Thanks,

Carlos-Manuel

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Carlos,

Well, to get logged in (assuming your PC is at least booting up to the Windows Logon screen), you can try to use the On-Screen Keyboard, just click on the Ease of Access button (should be on the lower left hand side of the logon screen) and put a check mark in the box next to "Type without the keyboard" and select OK.  This should bring up the On-Screen Keyboard and allow you to enter your user name and password.  Note that I'm assuming here that you couldn't get logged on because either your user name or password or both uses one of the keys that isn't working.

Alternatively you can also just connect an external USB keyboard, like what you might use with a Desktop PC.

That should at least allow you to use your computer somewhat.

To test your keyboard, reboot the computer and press F2 to access the UEFI diagnostics.  You can find the full procudure in this document:

Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista)

If you don't have the lastest UEFI diagnostics installed on your PC, you can get the download here for your model PC:

HP Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Support Environment

There is a keyboard test under system tests, it may take a while to get through the test procedure, but it will verify if the keyboard hardware is functional or not.

If the keyboard test all pass, but you still have problems with some keys on the keyboard, check that the keyboard language has not been changed.  Go to Start --> Control Panel, choose "Change Keyboards or other input methods", then click the Change Keyboards button.  Based on your model, you should have the English (United States) - US option selected.  If some other keyboard is selected, that can cause some weirdness with your keyboard.

Good Luck!

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I am currently logged onto my second laptop. My newest is the one not working properly.  It was fine yesterday but the "h" key doesn't work today, either on the laptop keyboard, the on screen keyboard or my wireless keyboard.  The "h" is in my password so I can't log into that laptop.  Any suggestions? I've rebooted three times, checked for sticky keys and now I'm beside myself. Please help.

HP Recommended

@SunniSue wrote:

I am currently logged onto my second laptop. My newest is the one not working properly.  It was fine yesterday but the "h" key doesn't work today, either on the laptop keyboard, the on screen keyboard or my wireless keyboard.  The "h" is in my password so I can't log into that laptop.  Any suggestions? I've rebooted three times, checked for sticky keys and now I'm beside myself. Please help.

Found this post while searching the internet and saw that no one bothered to respond to your message. Nice job, guys. Anyway, you may be able to type the h character using control codes  - alt+072 for H and alt+104 for h.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with an Envy m7-k211dx. If there was ever a resolution to this, I would love to know. 

HP Recommended

I had this problem after I had re-assembled an HP laptop (including the keyboard). It must be that g, h and backspace are all on one line of the keyboard because when I replugged the keyboard into the motherboard it all worked again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.