Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 7 (2,553 Views)

recovery disk error 1005

Hello, I replaced the hard drive on my hp pavilion dv4 1433us, upon trying to do the system recovery process with my back up disks I get an 1005 error. I performed tests on memory and hard drive and it passed all of them. What can I do here? Thanks

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 7 (2,547 Views)

Re: recovery disk error 1005

[ Edited ]

Hi:

Sometimes recovery disks don't work for one reason or another, and there is no telling why.

Sometimes you need to try more than once or twice and they may work.

If they were the ones you made when you got the notebook, you may want to purchase a set from HP by reading the info at the link below.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

If you can still read all 25 characters of the Microsoft Vista product key on the bottom of your notebook, you can make your own Vista installation disk.

Here's how:

If you're up to a slight but rewarding challenge you can make your own if you can read your 25 character Vista product key on the PC.

Just download the 3 files you need at the link below, and read all of the instructions to create a bootable DVD installation disk using imageburn.

Disregard the part of the text under the first screen shot about "extract the files to the Vista folder."

The files were already extracted to that folder when you ran the X14.exe file by reading the text on top of the first screen shot.

The other thing I noticed is on the 4th screen shot, where it shows Developer ID Microsoft Corporation. I had to type Microsoft Corporation in myself, and then the other codes automatically populated.

When I went to compile the ISO file, ImageBurn gave a message that about a WIM file and ISO, and if I wanted to burn it in a different format.

I selected No, make the ISO file.

It was not that hard to do. I burned both the 64 bit disk and the 32 bit disk in case I ever need them.

I tested both of them an my hp dc7100 CMT desktop PC, they worked perfectly.

When you enter the product key, it knows what version of Vista you have.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3317.2-3-microsoft-windows-v....

After you successfully install Vista, you can then install the drivers from your PC's support and driver page.

Paul

Honor Student
Message 3 of 7 (2,535 Views)

Thank you Paul,

I did as you suggested and made a dvd with the windows files. However, it does not accept my product key, which is visible in my computer. In my tag on back of my notebook there´s a number X14-39682 which is different from the one I downloaded, do you think that matters or could it be something else?

Thank you

Fabricio

Provost
Message 4 of 7 (2,534 Views)

Hi, Fabricio:

It may make a difference. I have read that sometimes the operating system being installed has to be the same one that came with the PC.

So, if you have installed another language other than the one your notebook came with, that could be an issue but I can't say for sure.

Since all of my PC's had english language systems installed and there was an english language download, the product keys I used worked fine for me.

If you can't get the OS installed the way I posted above, your only choice is to purchase a set of recovery disks ro a new operating system (windows 7) which will come with its own product key.

Paul

Student
Message 5 of 7 (2,500 Views)

Have you been able to fix your problem? I have struggled with the same issue to no avail. Vista recovery gets 26% into the first disk before I get the same error. My HDD and memory pass all tests. I have even tried using another external CD/DVD drive with no luck. Each time I run the recovery, the same result occurs. The recovery disks I am running were the one's that were created when I bought the machine three years ago. Any other ideas of what I can do to get this system up and running? Thanks for the help.

Mike
Honor Student
Message 6 of 7 (2,491 Views)

Hello Mike, no I haven´t been able to fix the problem and I was told at hp that there are no recovery disks available for this laptop anymore, I´m going to try something else or I´ll just have to buy a windows 7 license and try to install it,

Fabricio

Top Student
Message 7 of 7 (1,901 Views)

[ Edited ]

Solution: Clear your disk space with Windows installed. About 9.5 Gb enough and it was never a problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation