Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-cs0085cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi .  I read Huffer's response to someone (I can no longer find the thread) asking about replacing an HDD with an SSD in an HP Pavilion 15 laptop.  I want to do the same thing.  In his reply, he circled the M.2 slot (thank you!) and told the person all of the possible choices for SSDs that would fit the model.   I ordered an SSD from Crucial - MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA M.2 Type 2280SS, then I wasn't able to verify on the Crucial website if this would fit my laptop.  I obviously should have checked first, my mistake.  Are all M.2 sata slots basically the same and therefore I can use the drive I ordered or is there a difference I didn't consider?  

Thanks.

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If I did not say it in the old post you should always open the laptop first to be 100% sure a slot is present. If it is the disk you ask about is a 2280 form factor SATA M.2 and will fit.  Yes an M.2 slot is an M.2 slot physically; the difference is how it is configured on the inside, and in this case it can accept either an NVME or SATA M.2 of 2280 form factor which is pretty much what is available in the market at this point. Your Crucial MX500 should work as best I can assure anyone about M.2 terchnology. Good luck. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

If I did not say it in the old post you should always open the laptop first to be 100% sure a slot is present. If it is the disk you ask about is a 2280 form factor SATA M.2 and will fit.  Yes an M.2 slot is an M.2 slot physically; the difference is how it is configured on the inside, and in this case it can accept either an NVME or SATA M.2 of 2280 form factor which is pretty much what is available in the market at this point. Your Crucial MX500 should work as best I can assure anyone about M.2 terchnology. Good luck. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.