Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lelee1
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

should I replace the motherboard on my HP Pavilion?

Microsoft Windows XP (64-bit)

I had a virus and took my HP to Staples for $99 virus repair. When they returned it to me the battery had been switched and was not the correct battery for my laptop. I took it back and they sold me a new power cord that I had to use all the time. I could not use the laptop without having it plugged into an outlet. No battery life at all. After a few weeks of this, the laptop would not turn on. I took it back again and was told I need a new motherboard. Should I replace the motherboard or invest in a new laptop? Would the battery issue contribute to the motherboard crash? I loved the laptop and it fit all my needs in editing pictures and making videos. I have about 20,000 pictures stored on it. It has a DS card reader and CD burning capability. It would be expensive to replace and hard to find these features in my price point currently. However, I do not want to invest the money if it is not worth the repair. I have read here that getting a new motherboard is akin to getting a new engine in your car. Has anyone had this repair and was it worth it?

1 REPLY 1
Level 17
Level 17
41,640 41,425 6,558 11,408
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

should I replace the motherboard on my HP Pavilion?

We need to know the model of the laptop. I am frankly stunned that Staples would swap batteries on you. You should not have the motherboard replaced at Staples. They just send the work out to a third party facility and take a cut so it has to be expensive. If the laptop really does have Windows XP 64 bit on it (I am skeptical) it is old and a motherboard or a whole identical used laptop can be found for not very much money. I mean for like $100 (a third of what Staples would charge to replace the motherboard) we can find the same model laptop on eBay and have you just switch your hard drive into it. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation