Sam_A Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

spectre x360 keyboard issue after recent bios update

Hi Folks,

I have a spectre X360 and I am really happy with it.  Great product.  I recently updated the bios and it was really nice to be rid of the glowing keyboard light LED. There is an issue that has popped up though which is incredibly frustrating, like incredibly annoying, and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.  The keyboard response to typing a double letter (such as the t in letter) has gone down.  In other words my typing speed is now limited because the keyboard isn't as sensitive as it was prior to the bios update.  Does anyone know of a setting somewhere where I can increase the sensitivity of the keyboard so I'm not constantly going back to correct a missing double letter?  Please! argh it sucks so bad.  It has ruined my experience with this machine.

-Sam

19 REPLIES 19
Retired
Retired
16542 952 2192
Message 2 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Sam_A ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your HP Spectre x360 and TouchPad sensitivities not working correctly. Here is a document on how to troubleshoot the Touchpad sensitivities.

If you will go to the section on Adjusting TouchPad pointing sensitivities it should help resolve the issue. It also shows you how to restore the default setting that could help as well.

Hope this fixes your issue.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Sam_A Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 3 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thanks for responding to my post.  However, my problem isn't with the trackpad sensitivity.  It is in the response of the keys of the keyboard.  When I type 'little' at the speed I want to type; when I press the 'T' key twice so that it types 'tt' the keyboard only types 't'.  They keys of the keyboard seem to have lost some sensitivity to double presses. I feel like it has something to do with adding the ability to turn off the keyboard light LED in the bios.  This problem did not exist before I updated the bios.  Can you please address the actual problem I'm having?  I am willing to even talk to support on the phone if you open a ticket for me.

Thanks,

Sam

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 952 2192
Message 4 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Sam_A ,

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click on: HP contact options - click on Get phone number

Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
bobaloisi Top Student
Top Student
8 0 0
Message 5 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same issue, is there an update available yet on a resolution ?

0 Kudos
bobaloisi Top Student
Top Student
8 0 0
Message 6 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Sam,  I was having the same keyboard problem.  i went into control panel => keyboard and set the repeat delay and repeat rate to almost the middle for each. I had to play around with the adjustment to get it just right.   hope this helps.

0 Kudos
bobaloisi Top Student
Top Student
8 0 0
Message 7 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

well,  it turns out the keyboard control panel settings did not work.   i just spent an hour with HP support,  he took over my pc and typed words like feed and little, it worked fine.  so, he thinks it's a keyboard hardware problem, he wanted me to send it out for repair.   I can't, that would take a minimum of 3 - 4 days,  I work from home a lot.   guess i'll just have to live with this problem.   not very happy about that, especially since I bought this new 3 months ago.

0 Kudos
Giaggi Tutor
Tutor
9 0 1
Message 8 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Exactly same problem here.

My X360 worked perfectly for 6 months until a week ago when I installed the latest BIOS through HP Support Assistant.

The keyboard started missing the second keystroke of the same key.

The way to test it is very simple, try to write "Letter" many times, at a high speed.

You wil have something similar to:

Letter

Leter

Leter

Letter

Leter

Letter

Letter

Leter

When the speed of typing is pretty quick the keyboard misses the second repeated letter. This happens with all keys and is not related with a hardware malfunction. The issue is related only to repeated keys, not to different keys.

It seems to me as a bounce filtering algorithm that kicks in too much.

The issue is also discussed on http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Spectre-X360-Missing-Double-... but without any feedback from HP

This is very frustrating because the usability of the X360 has become unacceptable after the update of the BIOS.

Is somebody from HP reading this discussion?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
16542 952 2192
Message 9 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @Giaggi,

Here is a document that shows you how to restore BIOS factory default settings. That way it will look at the Hardware installed on the Notebook and correct the issue.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
Giaggi Tutor
Tutor
9 0 1
Message 10 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mrstenter

I've folowed your instructions, restored factory default for the BIOS but unfortunately it didn't work.

Here is my test, typing quickly and without applying any correction:

letter

leter

letter

letter

letter

leter

leter

letter

leter

leter

letter

letter

letter

leter

letter

letter

leter

letter

letter

letter

leter

leter 

That's really annoying because I find myself correcting almost 50% of the words having double letters.

How can we involve somebody working on the X360 BIOS at HP and make them aware of the issue?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation