• post a message
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

supported CPUs for upgrade

HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade the CPU in my G60-235DX which originally came with an Intel Pentium dual core T4200 2Ghz.

I know its a "Socket P" aka "micro FCPGA 478", but I'm not sure what the highest possible CPU is that the board and BIOS will support is.

I'd prefer something that can handle intel's virtualization for running parallel OS instances so if anybody knows of a core 2 duo or quad that works well with this machine I would be very happy.

thanks in advance 🙂

Edit:

I Know what I'm doing with upgrading it myself and the heatsink and fan very well CAN handle the heat of a more powerful chip.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How about a P7550 Core 2 Duo?

would that be acceptable?

it's socket P and according to the series spare parts listing for the G60 and CQ60 models in my product line there was a P7350 option but the manual i have is dated before the release of the 7550 so obviously the manual cant talk of CPUs not in existence when it was written.

anybodt have any ideas on this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

it would also be awesome if HP's "technical support" staff in the (god knows where, probably india) call center wouldnt just put me on hold then hang up on me (three times now) when i call to ask them about it directly.

that's just frakking lovely HP... I'll seriously consider buying a different brand from here on out for ANY of my computing needs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
Level 9
2,317 2,315 176 722
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So can try and upgrade to....P8700. There are these others like P7450, T6600, and T6400 but these are OEM only and are not sold in retail market...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have long used Toshiba's with great success. If it is for a business user/professional, however, Thinkpads are probably the best machines on the market. HP's Elitebooks are pretty solid as well, and their business support is much better than their end user support. When I purchased my Elitebook, it came with the 3 year total care package and it was a great deal when you realize that is usually a $350 or so dollar add-on. If you took off that $350, the laptop was totally competitive with the consumer models of similar CPU and other specs.  Price-wise, that put's it way ahead of most of the Lenovo ThinkPads while providing something nearly as good as a ThinkPad.  And again, you are dealing with HP's business line support rather than their end-users who get mediocre support at best.    YMMV

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
16 13 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

did you ever get an answer on this or ever upgrade the CPU with success?

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation