Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-da0234ur (4PP59EA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

My laptop has a slow 500 GB 5400 rpm SATA  now. Can I add a SSD to it so that the machine has both HDD and SSD?  If yes, does Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB or Samsung 860 Evo-Series 250GB M.2 SATA III V-NAND MLC (MZ-N6E250BW)

fit?

Also I would like to upgrade the memory [4 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 4 GB) at the moment]. Could you place advice on that as well?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your notebook.

https://support.hp.com/ua-ru/document/c06117548

It comes with a Pentium processor which means that if it has a M.2 slot, the slot only supports SATA SSD's, not NVMe.

Only the models with Intel Core processors can use a NVMe M.2 SSD.

Models with the Pentium processors only have one memory slot, and the slot will take a maximum of an 8 GB memory bar.

Below is the link to the service manual.   Chapter 1 contains the storage and memory upgrade info.

https://content.abt.com/documents/90195/15DA0046NR_manual.pdf

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the product specs for your notebook.

https://support.hp.com/ua-ru/document/c06117548

It comes with a Pentium processor which means that if it has a M.2 slot, the slot only supports SATA SSD's, not NVMe.

Only the models with Intel Core processors can use a NVMe M.2 SSD.

Models with the Pentium processors only have one memory slot, and the slot will take a maximum of an 8 GB memory bar.

Below is the link to the service manual.   Chapter 1 contains the storage and memory upgrade info.

https://content.abt.com/documents/90195/15DA0046NR_manual.pdf

HP Recommended

Dear Paul,

Many thanks. I am not an expert and kindly ask you to approve (or not) the following dual storage configuration: the original 500 GB 5400 rpm SATA hard drive + Samsung 860 Evo 250GB M.2 SATA III  https://www.samsung.com/au/memory-storage/860-evo-sata-3-m-2-ssd/MZ-N6E250BW/ ? Support in my locale was of little help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, that model Samsung drive should work fine, but I recommend you open up the notebook first and confirm that there is a M.2 slot, before spending money on the M.2 SSD.

There is one other issue you may face...assuming you can install the M.2 SATA SSD, your notebook will always want to boot from the hard drive as long as there is an operating system on it.

When notebooks with the dual drive configurations come that way from HP, there is no operating system on the 2.5" mechanical hard drive.

So you may want to leave the 2.5" drive disconnected until you can install W10 on the SSD and then you can reconnect the 2.5" drive and format it to remove the OS.

Then the notebook should always boot from the SSD.

Of course, try changing the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the M.2 SSD first.

If the notebook still boots from the 2.5" drive, then you will have to do what I suggested.

HP Recommended

You are right, the idea was to install Win10 on the SSD and use the HDD as a storage. I do appreciate your tip about limitations of the processor compatibility with SSD's.

"Yes, that model Samsung drive should work fine, but I recommend you open up the notebook first and confirm that there is a M.2 slot, before spending money on the M.2 SSD." - I have arrived to the same point of opening up the notebook to check for the slot with my eyes. It is quite surprising to me that the manufacturer did not produce a document specifying exactly the "content" of my model (15DA0046NR_manual.pdf you sent me a link to covers 15-da0000 ~ 15-da0099 models while mine is 15-da0234; the manual offered by my local support was not relevant at all). The search for the system board's specification did not bring any results either. Well perhaps my approach on relying on documents is wrong.

Thanks again for your help and time spent. 🍒 

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been off assistance.

The manual I posted for you covers the entire model series, which includes your notebook.

HP does not make an individual service manual for each model variation in the series, nor do they provide device drivers for every individual model PC.

So what that means is the info in the manual covers every possibility, making it difficult for users to determine exactly what is or is not supported.  The same goes for drivers.

HP Recommended

Dear Paul,

me again. No M.2 slot, unfortunately (I do not know how to add the photo here). I consider replacing the original HDD  and memory with Samsung 860 Evo-Series 500GB 2.5" SATA III V-NAND MLC (MZ-76E500BW) and Kingston SODIMM DDR4-2400 8192MB PC4-19200 (KVR24S17S8/8), respectively. Would it be OK?

HP Recommended

Hi:

That is what I was afraid of.

If it had a M.2 slot, the slot would be located to the left of the battery when you place the notebook so the battery is at the top as you are looking at the notebook, and the slot would be just above the memory module closest to the edge of the case.

Yes, both of those upgrades would be fine.

The Samsung is a very popular model drive, however an alternative drive that would be less expensive than the Samsung but just as fast, if not faster, would be this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-500GB-SSD-WDS500G2B0A/dp/B073SBZ8YH/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&hvadid=7840...

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. The WD SSD is just two dollars less here, I have ordered Samsung. I will report back on the performance of the new configuration.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

In the United States the price difference is greater, and both drives have a 5 year warranty here.

In some countries the WD Blue warranty is less than 5 years.

The Samsung drive is $80 and the WD Blue drive is $65.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.