Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy Touchsmart 15-j024sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to add a SSD to my laptop Envy Touchsmart 15-j024sa and having checked the service manual it is a little confusing as to whether mine is the suitable model and whether it is only able to take 256gb SSD or what?. It has an intel 4700mq processor and currently a 1TB HDD. and 16gb ram, grpahics ios GT740M, 2gb discrete

I also note there is a mSATA small space which the manual says only suitable for 24gb ssd.

I am a little confused as MrMemory suggests that this laptop can take a samsung 500gb 860 EVO mSATA SSD, MZ-M6E500BW, that would go in the small slot (meant for 24gb only, and also that it can take say a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD 2.5", MZ-76E1T0B/EU,  ie to replace existing HDD.

Does anyone know if this laptop spec can use this size of SSD instead of HDD, or whether the small mSATA space can actually run say a 256gb SSD?

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@lamonsea

I read another post but for a 17.3" machine (Envy 17-j0xx). The mSATA slot is for cache only it is very short. You can replace existing HDD with 2.5" SSD (1TB or more) and  Samsung EVO 860 is a good choice.

For the second question, it is doable but the chance is 50/50 and don't try SSD lager 128GB (capacity).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@lamonsea

I read another post but for a 17.3" machine (Envy 17-j0xx). The mSATA slot is for cache only it is very short. You can replace existing HDD with 2.5" SSD (1TB or more) and  Samsung EVO 860 is a good choice.

For the second question, it is doable but the chance is 50/50 and don't try SSD lager 128GB (capacity).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.