Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
c3q74ua
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade my network card to support wan+bluetooth. I found that hardware I need is HP part#690020-001 which is available. My question is do I have two antenna wires pre-installed in my Pavilion g7 2235DX, Serial # 5cd2360jz2, or do I have to order an antenna upgrade?

CAUTION: I may not always be right, but I'll always give advice.
Kudo's gratefully accepted if I was of help to you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @MrFixIt

I am pretty sure that all g7 models have two wifi antennas inside.

HP didn't start doing the one antenna thing until the Realtek 8188EE wifi card was used in newer notebooks.

But the only way you are going to know 100% for sure is to open it up and take a look inside.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@MrFixIt

Your machine was built around 2012 therefore the chance to replace wifi card is very slim. There are 3 options for the series:

• Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11 b/g/n 1×1 WiFi Adapter 675794-001
  • Ralink RT3290LE 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter part # 690020-001
  • Ralink RT5390R 802.11 b/g/n 1×1 WiFi Adapter (select models only) 691415-001

The second one on the list does have Bluetooth, you may want to try it or try

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/targus-bluetooth-4-0-usb-adaptor-taacb75au

There are many brands and models around, cheaper too.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I know that the HP Part # 690020-001 is the card I need, however my question is about the antenna leads inside the laptop. Do I have two antenna leads inside the laptop?

HP Recommended

Hi, @MrFixIt

I am pretty sure that all g7 models have two wifi antennas inside.

HP didn't start doing the one antenna thing until the Realtek 8188EE wifi card was used in newer notebooks.

But the only way you are going to know 100% for sure is to open it up and take a look inside.

HP Recommended

Received the new card yesterday and installed it. My g7 does have two antennas installed. Only issue with the change was having to go thru some software updates and configuration issues. Card is installed and so far only noticeable difference is my wi-fi connection does not have the same strength. All is well. Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, there are known issues with the RT3290 wifi card and W10.

The last W10 driver HP released for that model wifi card was in June of 2015.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.