Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion g7-1281nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an HP laptop I want to upgrade the motherboard and CPU. 

Model: HP Pavilion G7-1281nr

Product: A5G08UA

Serial [edit]

This is a Pentium dual core. I like to upgrade this to a better processor either Intel or AMD. I like to know which motherboard would fit in the one I have now. The motherboard has to be from the same mold as the one I have now. I looked at the manual and wondering if the system board spare part number 654117-001 or 654118-001 will work or any of the system board on page 77 will do?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Aihoai

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to upgrade the motherboard and the CPU on your computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I would like to inform you that, usually on the laptops it is not recommended upgrading the processor or the motherboard. The laptop motherboards are custom made to fit chassis of the laptop and finding the same form factor motherboard is difficult.

However, HP doesn’t recommend upgrading the motherboard and CPU on the computer and you can do so at your own risk.

Personally, I recommend you purchase a new computer as this computer is more than 5 years old and you can purchase a new computer for the cost of the CPU and the motherboard.

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

On pages 77-78 of the hp g7 service manual, lists system boards for the g7. Can I assume that all listed part numbers are comparable and have the same footprint, i.e. same posts and form.

HP Recommended

@Aihoai,

Can you share the service manual you are referring to?

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

yes, please see page 77-78 of attached. Since I cannot figure out how to attach a pdf file on this forum, I'm attaching on the email I got from you.

HP Recommended

@Aihoai,

You can attach files the same way you attach files in your email. 

Please refer to the below post for more information.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Make-A-Post/td-p/717...

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

here it is.

HP Recommended

Sorry, still don't see how I could attached a pdf file. I see where I can insert link, emoji, pic, video but not pdf file. Please help.

HP Recommended

I bought a very super deal hp laptop on ebay, it was with more than 8 years old, but it is a laptop with fullhd 17",

So after this introduction I unconvered that my motherboard 8760w was not compatible with cpu3rd generations; this processor are very powerfull respect ordinary cpu...

So to upgrade my laptop had to upgrade motherboard  with a modell superior 8770w.

Workstation laptop are heavier but better for quality constructions, so if your budget is low I suggest you to get an hp

8770w or Zbook 17", or also a 15" zbook 15 or 8570w... with i7 3rd generation

Later you can also upgrade the gpu. Regards

ps: there is not utility to upgrade your pc, as it's too old..

Altough you wish to update your cpu , maybe only second generation i7 could be compatible, but thia advice should come from a person who has your same problem...

if you wish to pay cheap you can take 8760W 17" ( but in this case you can't upgrade cpu from 2nd generation to 3rd generation ) .... only with i7 2670qm/2720qm/2760qm- much better 2860qm, or xm2920/2940

But 3rd generation it's much much better ...

HP Recommended

I would like to upgrade the motherboard and CPU. I'm trying to find a motherboard that has the same form and footprint as what I have:

Model: HP Pavilion G7-1281nr

Product: A5G08UA

What I have now stop working a while ago. And don't mind upgrading it a bit. I don't mind if it's a i3, i5, or i7. Again, I'm looking for something that has the same form-factor.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.