Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15t Touch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Just finished a chat session with HP via the HP support assistant utility on an HP laptop.  They said my laptop was not covered by warranty because I was using a clean install of win10 instead of the OEM factory image of win10 that came with the laptop.  They said I would have to revert to the OEM factory image to get them to support me on the issue I was having.

I then told them that the reason I was a clean install of windows is because I was using an SSD drive instead of the HDD drive that came with the laptop.   And I couldn't get the OEM factory image to work on the SSD drive; I needed to use a clean install of Win10 to get the SSD drive to work.   They said that that was a known issue, but that using the SSD drive further voided the warranty.  That I would have to re-install the HDD drive and then put the OEM factory image back on top of that to get them to support me on the issue I was having.

Have other people encountered this?  Or am I just getting the gold level of service?

Edit: I was provided with a link to this warranty description as justification for the warranty not covering an SSD upgrade or a clean Win10 install.

Thanks!

In case it is of any interest, this is for the following laptop: HP 15t Touch (Pavilion 15-ab283nr / T0D97UA#ABA)

And in case it is of any interest, the issue I'm having is a boot issue.  Can't get past the HP splash screen - stuck on the spinning wheel of death.  Only way to get around the issue is to do an image recovery using acronis.   But then the problem recurs after some period of time.   Have done chkdsk /r and discovered no issues.  And have done sfc /scannow and discovered no issues.  Have had the system configured with SSD and clean install Win10 for about 8 months with no issue; issue started cropping up in Jan of this year.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.