3 2 1 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

wifi upgrade on HP Stream 11

HP Stream 11
Linux

Hi I have a HP Stream Notebook 11-d010na and I have erased Windows and Installed Suse Linux on it.

Unfortunately there is no good Linux driver for the native Broadcom wifi card.

So I have bought already 2 intel wifi cards, advance-n  and wireless-n. Both do not work although there are good Linux drivers for these cards. I was wondering if HP has a whitelist for wifi cards. If so how can I find out what is on this list or how can I disable this list. Thanks a lot.

4 REPLIES 4
Professor
Professor
1577 1567 133 302
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I know that HP has whitelisted Wifi cards in the past, I am not sure about the Stream notebooks.

I have a Stream model 11-d010nr purchased in October 2014 that came with a Realtek RTL8723BE Wifi card that is working well with Linux Mint 17.3.

You may have already considered using a USB Wifi adapter instead.  I have gotten good performance with the Panda USB Wifi Adapter, it worked well with every Linux distribution I have tried.

0 Kudos
Johnny741 Top Student
Top Student
3 2 1 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks Kyle for your reply. Both your suggestions are valuable. I think it is safe to assume that the Realtek RTL8723BE would be whitelisted on my flavour of HP stream also. Again thank you Kyle. Other suggestions are also welcome.
0 Kudos
Johnny741 Top Student
Top Student
3 2 1 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I took Kyle's advice and bought a Realtek RTL8723BE on ebay.

I worked right away without problems. Thanks again Kyle.

I still have no clue what's on HP's whitelist.

I mark this thread as solved.

0 Kudos
Professor
Professor
1577 1567 133 302
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thanks for the update, that's good information for others in the same situation.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation