Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6-1189sa
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I' just wandering if this part will work fine in my system. I was just going to clean my fan when I upgrade my cpu from an i3 to an i5 and decided replacing the cooling system would be worthwhile since its cheap enough to do.

I have a HP Pavilion g6-1189sa and the fan I was going to replace my existing fan with is HP Pavilion G6 1000 AMD Athlon Phenom Cooling Fan Heatsink 643364-001 646578-001 since its cheap to buy and saves the hassle of cleaning my existing fan. 

Would this fit into my system fine?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You want to use an AMD fan on an Intel processor system? The heatsink definitely will not work but on your particular model there is one fan shared by AMD and Intel systems:

Fan (available separately) 639460-001

See p. 76 here:

Manual 

What you need to do is reuse the existing heatsink. Clean it up and apply new thermal compound and then transplant the new fan onto the old heat sink. Examine carefully how it attaches. If you don't get it connected right it might make noise and or not cool as well as it should. 

The fan can be cleaned and reused if it is not giving any error messages. Blow it out with compressed air and clean each plastic fan blade with a Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol and let it dry thoroughly before using again. 

Good luck. Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

You want to use an AMD fan on an Intel processor system? The heatsink definitely will not work but on your particular model there is one fan shared by AMD and Intel systems:

Fan (available separately) 639460-001

See p. 76 here:

Manual 

What you need to do is reuse the existing heatsink. Clean it up and apply new thermal compound and then transplant the new fan onto the old heat sink. Examine carefully how it attaches. If you don't get it connected right it might make noise and or not cool as well as it should. 

The fan can be cleaned and reused if it is not giving any error messages. Blow it out with compressed air and clean each plastic fan blade with a Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol and let it dry thoroughly before using again. 

Good luck. Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

I think the best thing for me to do would be to just clean and reuse the existing parts when i change my cpu. thanks

HP Recommended

is there a specific battery i need to use as i need to replace this too. would most 6 cell batterys across the g6 series work in my model also?

If not could you provide the ones that i could use as it seems i could get cheaper batteries but am unsure what is compatible. 

thanks

HP Recommended

Please start a new thread and post a link here. The Forum is more useful to the public if threads deal with one subject. We can definitely connect you with the right battery.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.