Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 ac034TU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I like to watch and browse on the laptop in bed and having it placed on its side (left or right). Only problem is that the keypad and touch pad will not work. The laptop is not in tablet mode, as I know it automatically locks the keybpoard then and it makes sense.

Any one know how I can turn off the auto locking of the keyboard and touch pad? I just tried updating the bios like one of the other threads specified to no avail.

thanks in advance.

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hello, @lxchin - Greetings!

Thanks for posting in HP Support Forums! I will certainly try my best to help you with your issue 🙂

I understand that you are trying to disable the auto locking of the keyboard while you use your HP Spectre in tablet mode. I did some digging and came up with the below-mentioned solutions. Please give it a try and let me know if it helps 🙂

The keyboard in Windows 10 has an automatic detector to disable the keyboard and the trackpad as soon as it becomes a 'tablet'. To access it go to the following menu items: 
Control panel (NOT SETTINGS) -> Keyboard (use icons) -> Keyboard Lock -> Auto-Lock the keyboard and touchpad (recommended)
You can use these settings to disable the keyboard in tablet mode

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Have a great day 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi Dvortex,

firstly, the laptop is not in tablet mode. I locked that so that I have to manually put in in tablet mode if I want to use it in tablet mode. So I am in normal mode and just placing the laptop on its side.

I did try to do what you mentioned, I pressed start, typed in control panel, then click on the keyboard icon. However the option of keyboard lock was not there, There were only two tabs of  speed and hardware.

Any more ideas?

HP Recommended

Hello, @lxchin

Try to update the Windows and the BIOS of your notebook. 

I would suggest you first try and use HP Support Assistant to download the necessary drivers to update the old ones.

HP Support Assistant is a software program designed to help you keep your computer in working order, prevent potential problems from arising, and resolve problems quickly and easily. The program also provides valuable system information that you need when troubleshooting computer problems. Please go to http://hp.care/2gFA6Q8 to install the HP SA if you do not have it already.

Also, if you have the HP SA installed then go to http://hp.care/2gqoIri and follow the steps under “Checking for HP updates’ to find and install the updates.

Now, try the settings I mentioned in my previous post.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Dvortex, have done that but the keyboard control panel still shows the same tabs. I have downloaded the bios previously, and then just now there were three updates, which have been all installed.

ALso I went to update the keyboard driver in the properties section, but it said I had the latest driver.

HP Recommended

Hello, @lxchin

When you tilt the laptop, could you please check the tablet mode on the PC. Check the image below:

See if the option is highlighted in blue. If so, then the laptop is going to the tablet mode and hence the keyboard is disabled.

Thanks, I'll watch for your reply!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
Hi, the tablet mode is not high lighted when i put the laptop on the left or right side. I turned off the automatic tablet mode as it was annoying.
HP Recommended

Hello, @lxchin

When you try to tilt the laptop, the laptop will think that the orientation is getting changed and hence the reason for the keyboard to not respond. It looks like the product is designed that way.

If you need further assistance on this issue, please contact the HP phone support.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Hope that helps! Let me know!

Have a great day 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi,

that does nto sound right, it would be right if it is in tablet mode, but the computer is not in tablet mode. There should be a fix for this. Is there someone who you can escalate this to? No other laptop I know does this. It really has to be fixed...

Alex

HP Recommended

Hello, @lxchin

I am escalating this case to our engineering team to find more clarity / solution for this issue.

I'll update you once I have a solution.

Thanks, Have a great day!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.