Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840g 3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all - just spent an hour on w tech support and searching/googling for help, unfortunately nothing has worked. Figured I would ask here  before I did a system wipe

New 840g3 - less than a month of use, no issues until today. Go to turn it on, goes directly to a black screen with text saying something like "failed to turn on / recover from hibernate" and gave me 2 options -continue with starting or something like "reset hibernate memory"

I first tried continue, and it brought me to a black screen - nothing. Rebooted

Then chose the second "reset hibernate" etc option - sort of seemed like it did something for a second, but then to black screen.

So it's stuck on this - powers on fine, button lights are fine, I can see the HP logo and text on bottom left side, and get to ESC menu ok. But it will not load no matter what I do.

What I have tried:

1. CS had me update bios, check that bios option "when lid is open" was checked, and there was a BIOS update however that did not solve the problem.

2. Ran just about every test within ESC -all of them passed.

3. Reseated the memory as I read on another thread that might affect screens / cause a black screen. Did not help.

Any other suggestions other than doing a wipe? And any ideas what this could be due to and how I can avoid it in the future?

Thanks!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.