Intern
Intern
39 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

1 Month old Elitebook 840gb suddently won't boot past HP logo / hibernate error - help!

Elitebook 840g 3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all - just spent an hour on w tech support and searching/googling for help, unfortunately nothing has worked. Figured I would ask here  before I do a dreaded system wipe.

New 840g3 - less than a month of use, no issues until today. Go to turn it on, goes directly to a black screen with text saying something like "failed to turn on / recover from hibernate" and gave me 2 options -continue with starting or something like "reset hibernate memory"

I first tried continue, and it brought me to a black screen - nothing. Rebooted

Then chose the second "reset hibernate" etc option - sort of seemed like it did something for a second, but then to black screen.

It powers on fine, button lights are fine, I can see the HP logo and text on bottom left side, and get to ESC menu ok. But it will not load no matter what I do.

What I have tried:

1. CS had me update bios, check that bios option - something like "when lid is open" was checked, and there was a BIOS update that completed successfully, however that did not solve the problem.

2. Ran just about every test within ESC menu - all of them passed.

3. Reseated the memory as I read on another thread that might affect screens / cause a black screen. Did not help.

Any other suggestions other than doing a hard reset? I may have used the unit 15 times if that, and it was bought new- first owner. ALSO - when I go to system restore from the ESC menu, it DOES NOT work - just  brings me back to the black screen. I do have the HP recovery discs which I'm hoping would work, but who knows.

Windows 7 64bit, which is the original OS and it was brand new when it got to me.

Thanks!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation