Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15-bw042nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After the installation of the last cumulative updates (June & July 2018) (from KB4284835 to KB4338819) the system startup is very slowly and many installed softwares are not working (including the Microsoft Edge browser)

I've formatted the notebook for three times (without all the drivers) but the problem is present.

It seems a hardware problem caused by Windows 10.

The only solution is unistall the updates.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@VEGA17

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, your notebook is performing slow after Windows Update, 

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Did you run a hardware test on the computer using the F2 key during a restart?

How did you install Windows on your notebook? 

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

HP Performance Tune-up analyzes and optimizes your PC to resolve system freeze issues and improve performance: Click here

If a BIOS update is available, download and install the update according to the instructions on the download page. For more information about updating the BIOS, go to HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS.

Update device drivers: As a part of troubleshooting, update drivers and software for your computer using Windows Update. For more information and detailed instructions, see HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Window 10, 8, 7).

Also, perform a system test to ensure hardware is working fine: 

• Press the Power button to turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until you see HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI.
  • From the UEFI main menu, click System Tests, then click Quick Test.
  • Click Run once.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take up to 15 minutes.
  • If no system component failed, please go back to main menu and Exit from the screen

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@VEGA17

Welcome to HP Forums,

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand, your notebook is performing slow after Windows Update, 

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Did you run a hardware test on the computer using the F2 key during a restart?

How did you install Windows on your notebook? 

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

HP Performance Tune-up analyzes and optimizes your PC to resolve system freeze issues and improve performance: Click here

If a BIOS update is available, download and install the update according to the instructions on the download page. For more information about updating the BIOS, go to HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS.

Update device drivers: As a part of troubleshooting, update drivers and software for your computer using Windows Update. For more information and detailed instructions, see HP PCs - Updating Drivers and Software with Windows Update (Window 10, 8, 7).

Also, perform a system test to ensure hardware is working fine: 

• Press the Power button to turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until you see HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI.
  • From the UEFI main menu, click System Tests, then click Quick Test.
  • Click Run once.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen. The test can take up to 15 minutes.
  • If no system component failed, please go back to main menu and Exit from the screen

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

HP Recommended

Thank you,

I will try tomorrow.

HP Recommended

@VEGA17

Sure 🙂 Keep me posted!

Cheers 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

I've done all the tests through the UEFI HP Tools and the hardware is ok.

Through the last update (KB4345421) the problem about  the software operation is solved.

The problem about the system startup remained.

I want to clarify that my notebook is factory-installed with SSD M2 SAMSUNG MZNLN256HMHQ-000H1 and it takes almost 45 seconds for the startup.

Before the lasts updates the startup takes almost half time.

I noted this because i compared this with another my pc with a SSD Sata3 SAMSUNG EVO 850 that take 10 seconds for the startup.

What can i do?

Thank you

HP Recommended

@VEGA17

Thanks for the reply,

It looks like you were interacting with @Flower_Bud, but she is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead.

:)Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I've done all the tests through the UEFI HP Tools and the hardware is ok.

Through the last update (KB4345421) the problem about  the software operation is solved.

The problem about the system startup remained.

I want to clarify that my notebook is factory-installed with SSD M2 SAMSUNG MZNLN256HMHQ-000H1 and it takes almost 45 seconds for the startup.

Before the lasts updates the startup takes almost half time.

I noted this because i compared this with another my pc with a SSD Sata3 SAMSUNG EVO 850 that take 10 seconds for the startup.

What can i do?

Thank you

HP Recommended

@VEGA17

Thanks for the reply,

I see that you are facing issues with the slow start.

Let's perform a clean boot in Windows,

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10

Use this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

hi,

I've done a clean boot but the problem is the same.

I think that the problem depends on a incopatibility caused by the last updates.

Thank you for your answer.

HP Recommended

@VEGA17

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I would suggest you reinstall Windows using HP Recovery Media. To order Recovery Media, you could refer to this article: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/bph07143

Or I will send you a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your forum private message box next to the bell notification icon on the upper right-hand corner for a private message from me for further assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.