Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

301 hard drive failure for 8470w Laptop

EliteBook 8470w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I started system the other day and got the 301 imminet Hard Drave Failure error. I started copying some of the fails and it

kept locking up. I need to just make and image backup and give the system back to out IT department for recycling, it's going out of warranty and we are moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and have new laptops already.

I am a developer and need to get a backup Image for futre reference to settings and other items I have modified for this system.

How can I get it to create an image backup? I need to know if there are any tricks to make it stay alive long enough to make the image.

Please advise.

4 REPLIES 4
Teacher Teacher
Teacher
148 144 9 23
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

The error may indicate that your Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

First of all, remove and then reconnect the Hard Drive - the procedure is described starting onPage 54 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Next, tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run a test on the Hard Drive.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Professor Professor
Professor
1,476 1,392 140 899
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey jmele,

It sounds like it might be too late.  Sometimes the hard drive will still work even after the error messages but other times it won't.

There are business that offer services that can recover files from failed drives but they can be costly.  I recommend you keep trying to copy your important files as frustrating as that can be.

good luck - Wes

I am an HP employee.
0 Kudos
Teacher Teacher
Teacher
148 144 9 23
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try this link for the information about the imaging backup  https://www.howtogeek.com/192115/what-you-need-to-know-about-creating-system-image-backups/

Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
692 680 30 104
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There is a big difference in the usability of the files depending on the way you do the copy.

If the disk contains invaluable data, I would stop it right away and send it to a recovery service.

If it's not worth spending from a few hundred to several thousands on the recovery, I would immediately try to copy my  most important files off the disk. The files would be immediately usable.

Mechanical grinding sounds are bad but otherwise it sometimes helps to use the drive in a different position, even upside down or even let it cool properly before continuing the effort (some even use freezer, but moisture might condensate on the disks when you take it out which is bad)

What I would do next depends on how badly I would want to rescue some of the remaining data.

If I were to try and rebuild as much as possible, I would try to take a block by block image copy of the disk. Could be done with Linux tools but I would  first try by downloading and installing Macrium Reflect free on another computer and creating the bootable USB WIN PE stick.

I would then boot the machine with the failing disk with the USB and first try to do an Image of the affected volumes to an external USB 3 drive selecting Exact copy in the advanced options. If not successful at all, I would try Cloning the disk with the forensic option to see if it would fare any better (probably not).

The backed up volume could them be restored to a working drive and that drive connected as a secondary drive to a computer and Windows tools be used to try and fix the filesystem as much as possible and then the files hopefully more fully recoverable.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation