Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I own a "HP G71-340US Notebook running Windows 7" and  I'm attempting to restore my computer completely (to delete everything). Then at one point, when I turned on the computer a few days ago, it took me into Recovery Manager, I couldn't do anything. I try to restore the computer as new and told me it will restart a few times. I let it do that, then I see an error telling me it can't restore. I click Ctrl, Alt, Del and was able to log off of that. Then after that it showed what to log into. I click administrator (because I am the administrator of that computer) and it says Account Disabled, see your system administrator. Then I click other user, it gave me the option to put in a username and password, but it keep saying that the username and password is incorrect. So I shut the computer down, waited about 10 seconds, then it's trying to set up as new, it took about 20 seconds and then a different error comes up saying, "Windows cannot install, please restart to install." I done this so many times that I think I screwed up my computer. I can't even contact HP from the the computer in Recovery Manager, and I can't go into Safe Mode.

Caused: I had over 458 trojans, 2 rootkits and 0 viruses on my computer (as it says when I scan the computer before the errors showed).

And please don't ask about the trojans, I don't know how that got on my computer.

NEW PROBLEM: I turn on my computer this morning, it says "Setting up as new computer....." then it takes me to the Welcome screen then within 20 seconds, it tells me that "windows cannot install and that the computer needs to reboot." I let it reboot about 3 times and still nothing. I try getting into Safe Mode but it won't load at all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The hard disk 1 error is a failure code for the short test on the hard drive. It means that the hard drive is failing or has failed and needs to be replaced. That may have been the reason that the installation failed originally.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello Michael08081,

I see that you are having problems with your computer restoring.  It appears that the virus issue you were having corrupted the recovery partition on the computer. It has failed to complete the re-installation of the computer and now you are stuck in a loop.

My suggestion would be to order recovery disc from HP. You can do it here at their website. The link takes you directly to your specific model. You can select the option "Order Recovery Media" and select the Windows 7 discs.

If you have trouble ordering them from the website you can call HP directly and order them over the phone at:

(800) 474-6836

Once you get the disc you can reinstall the operating system and should be able to complete the setup.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended
One more question: Is it possible I can get what I downloaded to the computer back? These are What I downloaded a month before the errors
> iTunes (by Apple) TRUSTED
> World of Warcraft (by Blizzard Entertainment) TRUSTED
> Microsoft Open Office (by Unknown)

Do you also think that one of these may have cause the Trojans?
HP Recommended

It's not likely that you can get those programs back since the computer has already been through a recovery.

When it does a recovery it removes everything from the hard drive and it looks like it did complete that process the issue came in the re-installation process.

Signature

HP Recommended

NEW PROBLEM: I did the start-up test on my computer and it shows a hard disk 1 quick (303) error, what does that mean?

HP Recommended

The hard disk 1 error is a failure code for the short test on the hard drive. It means that the hard drive is failing or has failed and needs to be replaced. That may have been the reason that the installation failed originally.

Signature

HP Recommended

How can i get the Administrative Pass word, so i can log on to my computer as it won't take my password, and this is what comes up?

HP Recommended

@Jannelle wrote:

How can i get the Administrative Pass word, so i can log on to my computer as it won't take my password, and this is what comes up?

Hello.

This document gives a rundown of your options if you're unable to access your account by the password.

Have a great day.  I hope it helps!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended
Hi i have a presario cq57 i received from a family member who doesnt remember the password.When i cut it on it told me system disabled and gave me the numbers 58199840.
Can someone tell me what that is about or how to get around it and reset my bios?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.