Post new question
Question

Tutor
Message 1 of 8 (113 Views)

Auto-upgrade proglem

Product Name: Envy 4-1202EO
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello FOrum, I have a serious problem as my trustworthy Envy Notebook stopped in the middle of a recommended Windows 10 software upgrade.  I do not have a recovery disk nor a recent failsafe point.  I get a blue screen which is repeatable saying that recovery is not possible and can not get Windoes to load properly. Any suggestions are highly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 8 (96 Views)

Re: Auto-upgrade proglem

Hi:

If you had previously upgraded your PC to W10, you can always reinstall W10 for free at any time by making your own plain W10 installation media using the Media Creation Tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The tool will give you the option of making a bootable W10 USB installation flash drive, or you can save an ISO file which you later burn to a DVD, using your DVD burning program's burn ISO option.

When you get to the part of the installation script where you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option (Skip), and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Then you can install the drivers and available software from your notebook's support page...

Tutor
Message 3 of 8 (56 Views)

Hi this was very helpful thanks.  Now, I did create a W10 S USB and reinstalled on the laptop, however there were two issues:

i) all my files seems to be erased, the same for my old trustworthy Office 2007 suite :-) 

ii) when trying to reinstall the Office 2007 suite - the W 10 S version installed want an extra 250 EUR (!) to be able
to install "apps" that do not come from the Microsoft store.  Now I know that 2007 is almost obsolete and not supported, however this is my spare computer and I would much prefer reinstalling the M-soft package than switching to freeware.

any ideas are highly appreciated.

BTW this is a good forum!!

Provost
Message 4 of 8 (48 Views)

You're very welcome.

If you didn't format the hard drive when you reinstalled W10, then it created a Windows.old folder.

You can explore that folder and in your old user profile, you should be able to recover all of your files.

If the version of Office 2007 has a retail product key, you can reinstall it from the link below, by entering the product key.

If it came preinstalled with the PC, I'm afraid you are out of luck.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/office

Tutor
Message 5 of 8 (40 Views)

Much obliged for quick reply - I did find the windows.old catalogue - thanks!  Now with regards to the office 2007 installation, I have both a retail product key which is valid, but when I try to install it I get a dialogue box prompting med for a Windows 10 Pro upgrade at 250 € which is a bit steep.  I also recall there were at least 10 different versions of Win 10 yesterday from the USB software creation utility - I got the WIn 10 S, would it be worth trying to reinstall another version of Win 10 that allows reinstallation of the Office 2007 suite ? if so, what would I choose ?

BR

Provost
Message 6 of 8 (38 Views)

Hi:

The only operating system that is going to work without the need to purchase it would be the version of W10 that you orginally upgraded with.

For example, if your PC came with W7 Home, then you would install the W10 home version.

Now, in the EU countries, I believe you need to install the W10 Home N version, if the W7 version was N.

The features in the N and KN Editions are the same as their equivalent full versions, but do not include Windows Media Player or other Windows Media-related technologies, such as Windows Media Center and Windows DVD Maker. The cost of the N and KN Editions are the same as the full versions, as the Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 N or Windows 7 KN can be downloaded without charge from Microsoft.

I have no idea why you can't install Office 2007. 

I have Office 2007 Standard (retail) and have reinstalled it on W10 on several different PC's with no issues.

Tutor
Message 7 of 8 (36 Views)

Aha! Maybe worrh a try, I definitely installed Win 10 S, are u saying that I could try reinstalling the Win 10 N instead ? 

Provost
Message 8 of 8 (34 Views)

If you live in a EU country, yes.

W10 S = single language.

You will know if you have the right version installed if you click on the settings icon>Update & Security>Activation.

It should report Windows is activated with a digital license.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation