Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY dv6-7300 Notebook PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HPSBHF03573 rev. 4 - Side-Channel Analysis Method

I have searched for a BIOS update in relation to advice given to help combat 'Spectre' and 'Meltdown' issues, but I cannot find an update for my  particular notebook listed!

I have the latest update from Microsoft installed as my Anti Virus (Kaspersky) is one that supports the update.

Can anyone shed some light on this, please?  Is my ENVY dv6 no longer supported by HP due to its age, and therefore no BIOS update will be made available?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Viffergb, thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

I hope you went through the complete article I had shared you in my previous thread.

This issue related to CPU design flaw that makes possible speculative execution based exploits. So to fix this issue Microsoft has released a patch to all the affected units.

So, after updating the patch from Microsoft HP Sure-Click will have some issue functioning correctly. Note: The notebook models listed in the article are shipped with the sure-click software.

I see your laptop is not shipped with sure click software. This means your laptop is not one of the affected models so it is not listed in the document.

However, regarding the CPU design flaw, this has been taken care from Microsoft and this has nothing to do with HP.

If there is any update related to CPU design flaw with your HP will sure contact you regarding this.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @Viffergb, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you would like to know about spectre and meltdown issues.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned you would like to know about spectre and meltdown issues.

I have checked the records and your laptop is not one of the affected units. So you don't have to worry about this issue.

With the discovery of the CPU design flaw that makes possible speculative execution based exploits (referred to as side channel analysis or speculative execution and nicknamed "Spectre" and "Meltdown"), OS vendors have been pushing out software patches that protect against these exploits. Microsoft has also patched their operating systems. Unfortunately, some of these patches have resulted in compatibility issues with HP Sure-Click. HP Sure-Click will not work properly on a machine that has one of the following patches installed:

Refer this document to know more information about Spectre and Meltdown issues.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Have a great weekend ahead! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi MrRobot,

Thanks for the welcome and getting back to me.

I have read the explanations regarding  Spectre and Meltdown issues and my understanding of it is that due to a design flaw in the CPU I have in my ENVY dv6 and indeed millions of other CPUs, there are certain patches that have been issued by various O/S manufacturers.  In my case, I have Windows 10 installed and I have successfully applied the update patch issued by Microsoft as my Anti Virus software provider Kaspersky is one of those listed as being compatible with this patch from Microsoft.  So far so good...

However, I have also read that in order for this patch to be effective, the BIOS of the computer also needs patching, and that manufacturers such as HP have either already issued updated BIOS patches or are in the process of doing so.  When I look through the very comprehensive listing of p.c.'s already covered by HP I cannot find any mention of an updated BIOS for my ENVY dv6, and I am assuming that the CPU fitted to my ENVY dv6 is one of those affected by the CPU flaw issue.  Is that correct?  If so, when can I expect to see an updated BIOS patch release become available?

You ask if I have made any hardware or software changes to my ENVY dv6.  I haven't made any hardware changes, but I have upgraded like millions of others to using Windows 10, which was not the original O/S when the machine was first purchased.

You also ask for the product number of my machine, and I'm not quite sure where to find that information.  Can you please advise where I can find it, and I will gladly supply it?

My ENVY dv6 has never had 'HP Sure Click' installed as far as I know, so I don't believe this to be an issue.

All I am concerned about is the fact that although I have successfully installed the Microsoft patch, I don't believe it will take full effect until I have installed a patched version of the system's BIOS which I cannot find listed for my ENVY dv6 on your system!

Reports suggest that a high percentage of p.c.'s once having had both the BIOS and O/S patches applied will most likely  see a noticeable slowdown in the speed of their operation, and at present I don't see any such slowdown after applying the Microsoft patch, which is why I am raising this query concerning the lack of a system BIOS patch!

Apologies if I have misunderstood things, but I am confused as to what happens next!

Regards.

Viffergb

HP Recommended

I hope you went through the complete article I had shared you in my previous thread.

This issue related to CPU design flaw that makes possible speculative execution based exploits. So to fix this issue Microsoft has released a patch to all the affected units.

So, after updating the patch from Microsoft HP Sure-Click will have some issue functioning correctly. Note: The notebook models listed in the article are shipped with the sure-click software.

I see your laptop is not shipped with sure click software. This means your laptop is not one of the affected models so it is not listed in the document.

However, regarding the CPU design flaw, this has been taken care from Microsoft and this has nothing to do with HP.

If there is any update related to CPU design flaw with your HP will sure contact you regarding this.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the clarification MrRobot.

Regards,

Viffergb

HP Recommended

I am glad I was able to answer your query.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.