Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Imaged an EliteBook 8440w with Windows 7 x64 Enterprise. When shutting down from the Start button in Windows, the system shuts down, then goes into a reboot. It then comes up with the "HP BIOS Application Error (501)." I have seen posts about the EFI partition, etc etc but nothing on how to fix the problem from re-occurring.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi

Entering the BIOS Setup menu
Entering the BIOS Setup menu requires pressing a specific key at a specific time. If you fail to enter the Setup menu on your first try, repeat the following steps until you are successful:
Close all applications that are currently running and restart the computer by clicking Start , Shut Down , Restart the Computer , and then OK .
When the red Compaq logo or blue HP logo screen appears, press the F10 key on the keyboard to enter the Setup menu.

Reloading the default settings
Complete the following steps to reload the factory installed BIOS Setup settings:
In the BIOS Setup utility, select the Exit tab.
Select Load Setup Defaults .
Select Save Changes and Exit (pressing F5 and the Enter key will also load the Setup Defaults).
Press Esc and then Enter to exit Setup.

This is a feature. 
You are using info-button to start and have no efi-partition (HP_Tools) installed.

Disable 'HP Quicklook' from bios setup.

-----

HP EliteBook Notebook PC Series - BIOS Application Error (501)

Information

You may have get a 'BIOS Application Error 501' error message if using not HP Preload image and press INFO button when starting unit.
The HP BIOS application selected is corrupt or missing. Please install the application and try again.

BIOS Application Error (501)

Enter - Continue 

Details
This error is the result of using the INFO button launch HP EFI Application and if not using HP Preload image, the operating system cannot find the EFI partition.

What is EFI ?
EFI is a set modular interfaces that replaced the set of traditional BIOS interfaces between the OS and platform firmware.
The EFI partition is viewable on HP Preload image and HDD and is labeled as HP_TOOLS.
The EFI partition and HP EFI application are not required for the basic operation of HP Notebook, however, if partition is missing, EFI feature is not available.

Read mode on EFI Features on the "HP Business Notebook Computer - EFI Guidelines" that are downloadable on the www.hp.com

EFI Guidelines (116.5KB, PDF) HP Business Notebook Computer
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01564727/c01564727.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USE...

Let us know how it goes!

*Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button. Thanks!

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
HP Recommended

You deleted the efi-partition (HP_Tools). You can get past this message by disabling HP Quicklook 2 in your BIOS.

1. Open up your BIOS (by pressing F10 while your machine is booting up)
2. Go to System Configuration / Device Configurations
3. Look for an option called "HP Quicklook" or "HP Quicklook 2"
4. Set it to "Disabled"
6. Save the changes (hit F10)
7. Restart your machine.

HP Recommended

I did this with an 8440w about 2-3 months ago (Disable 'HP Quicklook' from bios setup).

I am an HP onsite technician working for Pomeroy. My client uses their own Windows 7 Pro or Enterprise builds. This problem (BIOS application error 501) has only happened once that I know of to date.

I used my experience and common sense to disable Quicklook in the BIOS after surfing for solutions in the HP forums and the rest of the web.

I "held my breath" and hoped it worked. I have not heard back from the user since the laptop was returned.

HP Recommended

guick lunch what load

HP Recommended

@18e4vw8 wrote:

Imaged an EliteBook 8440w with Windows 7 x64 Enterprise. When shutting down from the Start button in Windows, the system shuts down, then goes into a reboot. It then comes up with the "HP BIOS Application Error (501)." I have seen posts about the EFI partition, etc etc but nothing on how to fix the problem from re-occurring.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

what bios application error 501 missing

HP Recommended
Nothing happened aftr i disabled the hp outlook 😞
HP Recommended
I disabled the hp quickloop but the problem still occur
HP Recommended

Re: BIOS application error 501

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.