Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 1 (728 Views)

BIOS update from 3-in-1 diagnostic tool

Product Name: various
Operating System: Other

I'm trying to augment the HP USB 3-in-1 diagnostic tool, which also includes the ability to update the BIOS on any machine.  I've figured out that the .BIN file is the BIOS update file and to put it in the \Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New folder to allow machines to be updated.  However, when I tried to update a HP EliteBook 8540w, it didn't work, giving me an error message of "Signature file not found."

Since I'm able to update other HP systems (dc7800, EliteDesk 800 G1, ProDesk 600 G1, etc.) by putting just the .BIN file on the USB drive and selecting the update BIOS option from the BIOS, I figure it would also work using the HP 3-in-1 diagnostic tool.  Apparently, the 3-in-1 tool uses some form of CRC check to validate the BIOS file first.  The problem is, I don't know for which file the tool is looking, so I'm stuck.

Does anyone know the file structure of the BIOS section of the 3-in-1 diagnostic tool?  I need to know what files need to be put in what locations in order for the BIOS update function to work correctly.  Any help which is provided is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Timothy

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation