Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Battery Will Not Charge Even When Plugged Into Electricity

HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have two  refurbished HP Elitebook 8460p 64 bit Windows 7 Pro notebooks who, suddenly stopped holding the battery charge.

They work fine when plugged in but the battery will not recharge.

I checked the current system settings and everything appears to be "enabled."

Also did a "battery health check" and this appeared to be OK.

Has anyone experienced this problem before and what could be done to resolve it?

Thank you,

CAG43

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 2
12 7 1 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Indeed, I have experienced just the same issue. I did quite a bit of research and posted my topic on this site. DavidSMP - HP Support Assistant, gave me some excellent links that aided me in solving the, 'Plugged in, not charging' popup description when hovering over the battery icon in the notification area of the task bar.

That being said, there seem to be different origins of that battery state. So, I will post the link to my original topic and the replies. I have not diagnosed your systems and arrived at a solution, but the links provided in DavidSMP's replies are some good resources to explore.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Set-the-Charge-Bit-after-laptop-battery-replacement...

I am intrigued that with your statement, "I have two  refurbished HP Elitebook 8460p 64 bit Windows 7 Pro notebooks who, suddenly stopped holding the battery charge."

At the same time, day, or relative period of time?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

In response to Iluminuty re: the question,  when did both refurbished HP Elitebook 8460p 64 bit computers  stop holding the battery charge, this is what happened.

When the first one failed,  just out mof curiosity,  I checked the battery on the second one and it may have been a coincidence but, but it happened  the same day as the first one!

Thank you for the link.

I am going to try it now.

CAG43

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
12 7 1 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wouldn't have been after a MS Update would it?

I don't know the history of those two systems, and I would be hesitant to launch into a fix before considering a few suggestions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Illuminuty,

No,  there were no updates in either computer for several days.

Do you think that might have made a difference?

CAG43

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
12 7 1 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just never know for sure about some updates. There were a couple of times in previous years of updates that I couldn't boot my system after MS updates. Once in XP and once in Windows 7. My Norton Ghost image backups saved my bacon!

At any rate, it helps to know the history of the two systems. Did you aquired the two notebooks from a retailer or an individual and when did you aquire them? Any warranties?

How long did you use the notebooks before problems occured?

Go to the HP Support site and look up the model numbers of the LPTs,  and run the serial numbers of the notebooks and the batteries to see if they are recalled. If they are, you get free replacements! Charging cords are also recalled on some models.

Are the batteries original factory installed? The HP Support Assistant (desktop app) should be able to give you date of mfg and how many days old each is after running the battery app. It will also tell you the cycle count (How many times it has been charged) as well as the State of charge and Full Charge Capacity. If the AC xharge cord was plugged in all the time witout calibration, they may be toast.

Of course, you can run hard reset and see if that helps. Remember, once you are able to charge the batteries, you must recalibrate them and then set the charge bit. They must be unplugged once they are fully charged so they can discharge down to 94% before Windows will recognize them as being able to be charged (It's called 'Resetting the Charge Bit." Only has to be done once if I recall. I highly recommend that you follow HP's recommendations for Power Plan settings. That step alone can really lengthen battery life.  Avoid short discharges with full charges afterwards - really shortens battery life.

There is a bug in Windows that interfers with your MB's ability to manage the battery and power plans. Follow the instructions to uninstall the drivers for Batteries, reboot, run update for new drivers, and then do the same for Display drivers in Device Manager.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Illuminity,

Thank you so much for your detailed response to my question about why the battery in my  Elitebook 8460p will not chatge.

I am  in the process of going over everything you suggested and will get back to you as soon as I have some results.

CAG43

Highlighted
Level 2
12 7 1 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yeah, should be interesting to see the results. Let me know if you have any problems with the procedures.

BIOS/RTC/CMOS can be tricky. The hard reset is always a good to try if done according to the manufacturer's specs.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation