Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion bc406tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Files are atomatically converted into ROGER file, A message pop up appears as your files are encrypted. I guess my laptop is a victim of non ethical hack.

Problem Description: Files are atomatically converted into ROGER file, A message pop up appears as your files are encrypted. I guess my laptop is a victim of non ethical hack.

Please revert back to me.

IMG-20200811-WA0005.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @Rdo3 

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

This looks like the famous ROGER ransomware. This is type of virus/malicious software which has infected your computer and has encrypted your files.

Once the malicious code is removed from your computer, you may delete the encrypted files and attempt to restore them from a known-good copy (back up). I hope you have one. Changes to restore the files from using 3rd party tool is very low. Do not attempt to pay to any service for files restoration.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Some protection tips and tricks:

• Review this detailed article >> https://www.windowscentral.com/beginners-guide-windows-security-windows-10
  • Ensure your Windows is updated, your Windows Defender (built-in antivirus) is updated
  • Ensure your Windows Firewall is updated
  • Change your passwords regularly with strong ones
  • Consider adding extra protection for Windows. You may purchase a license for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium
    or you may purchase HitmanPro from Sophos and regularly scan with it
  • Ensure your browsers are protected. Install the free add-ins such as Disconnect or UBlock Origin
Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.