Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bw011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Notebook - 15-bw011dx - HDD had to be replaced as it was damaged which also means the bios and other hidden partitions were damaged along with the recovery.  Made a recovery usb from HP Icloud recovery.  However, unable to change any bios settings except for the date and time.  I am unable to save any passwords such as power on or admin.  I am unable to save the secure off and legacy boot on settings.  I use F10 to exit.  I access the bios by pressing esc to set to the mean then choose f10 to get into the bios.  I have also tried to get into the bios by pressing f10 on power on.  I tried to update from the current bios of f13 to the newest f51 or something - I actually tried all of them about 10 I believe.  None of which worked.  Bios update or rollback failed is received on each attempt.  No change to the bios.  I entered the bios for the update by pressing the windows key plus B.  I just need to be able to change the secure boot to legacy boot to start the HP Recovery USB.  How do I get the bios to save the Legacy boot settings.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@isam1970
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

In some cases, the automatic BIOS recovery fails because of corrupted CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) data. The CMOS stores BIOS settings. Try this procedure to reset the CMOS and recover the BIOS.

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Press and hold the Windows + V keys.

3. Still pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2-3 seconds, and then release the Power button, but continue pressing and holding the Windows + V keys until the CMOS Reset screen displays or you hear beeping sounds.

At the completion of a successful CMOS Reset, a message similar to the one below displays:

Successful CMOS reset button message
  4. Press Enter to restart the computer.

And, also use a second working computer with an active internet connection to create a BIOS recovery USB flash drive:

1. Get the product number for the original notebook that requires a BIOS recovery. This number is typically found on a label on the bottom of the notebook or on the box it shipped in. Go to How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? for additional options.

NOTE: The general or series name near the keyboard or on the frame around the display is not specific enough for identifying correct download files.

Notebook computer label enlarged to show product information

2. Insert a blank USB flash drive into an available port on the second computer.

3. Go to the HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads page.

4. Navigate to the product page for your computer.

5. Select BIOS, and then review the details of the latest available version or the specific version recommended for the recovery. Confirm it is the correct BIOS update before proceeding.

CAUTION: Read the Details section to confirm that it applies to the computer. Installing the wrong BIOS could cause the computer to stop working.
  6. Click Download, and then click Run.

7. Click Yes on the User Account Control screen.

Clicking Yes to allow the update to install

8. On the InstallShield Wizard window, click Next.

Clicking Next in the InstallShield Wizard

9. Select I accept the terms in the license agreement, and then click Next.

Agreeing to End User License Agreement

10. In the HP BIOS Update and Recovery window, click Next.

Clicking Next in HP BIOS Update and Recovery

11. Select Create Recovery USB flash drive, and then click Next.

Create Recovery USB flash drive in HP System BIOS Update Utility

12. Select your USB flash drive, and then click Next.

Selecting the USB flash drive

13. Wait while the BIOS files copy to the USB flash drive.

Copying BIOS files to the USB flash drive

14. When The recovery flash drive was created successfully displays, click Finish.

Clicking Finish

15. If necessary, click Cancel to close the update utility.

Clicking Cancel to close the update utility

16. Remove the flash drive from the computer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello and and thank you very much for your response.  However, I have already tried those - maybe 25 times already.  CMOS was reset a few times, CMOS battery was replaced, and the CMOS battery was removed and power button pressed for 30 seconds to discharge and reset a few times.  I also made the bios recovery/update usb and tried each and every bios revision listed for the laptop - each at least 10 times so I have attempted to update and rollback the bios maybe 100 times altogether.  I also tried the HP USB Diagnostic software and tried to update or roll back the bios from there with no luck.  A test of HDD, Ram and other was done and all checked out ok.  I did change the ram with no results.  A new stick and tried each slot.  I have never encountered an issue like this.  The HP logo does not even display - it does not post.  It only cycles a light screen to a blank screen and only displays when pressing esc, f2, f9, f10 or f11 but f11 does not bring up the recovery options - it just cycles back to the blank screen.  I have tried a external monitor with the same results.

HP Recommended

@isam1970 It looks like you've followed all relevant steps and since the issue persists, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.  However, I have already completed the information and received a case number (

Case number: 5038849097)  several days ago, but still have received no response to date from HP.  The laptop is not under warranty so I am not sure if I will receive any assistance from HP.  Again,  thank you for trying to assist me in this matter.

Take care,

Sam

HP Recommended

@isam1970 If the device isn't within warranty, they are most likely not going to contact you unless you want to pay for their support, that said, personally, you can either check with the local tech store for assistance, or if you wish to talk to someone at HP, simply send me a private message with the name of your region and I'll help you out.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.