Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Did you know how to reset the bios password for HP Elitebook 2530p ????

Thanks a lot.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Did you use HP ProtectTools and not use the HP SpareKey?

This manual applies to your notebook.

If you didn't use ProtectTools then it is a matter of removing the RTC battery for more than five minutes.

Here is a link to the Maintenence and Service guide for your notebook. Look in the removal and replacement procedures and then in component replacement procedures  section for RTC battery.

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Erico,

thank you for your answer.

This PC didn't use HP Protectools. However, i haven't seen yet if HP SpareKey has been configured.

I have done the procedure to remove the RTC battery but the password is still not erased.

Why ?

Best regards,

Pascal

HP Recommended

disconnect the RTC battery and then press the power button.

That should bleed all current from the eeprom and clear the BIOS settings. The battery supplies current that is needed for the eeprom (electrically eraseable read only memory) BIOS to hold all settings.

That is not mentioned in the manual. It is worth a try. You might even consider leaving the RTC battery out for a few hours.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi:

There is a conflict in the service manual regarding the removal of the CMOS battery to clear the BIOS password.

Anytime you see the Sparekey term listed in the service manual, if there are also instructions to remove the RTC battery to clear the password, the RTC battery removal instructions are obsolete, and do not apply.

Only correctly answering the 3 security questions presented by the HP Sparekey program will gain you access to the BIOS password.

If you did not register your password using the HP Sparekey and also have it sent to HP for retrieval upon providing HP with proof of ownership (in case you forgot the anwers to the security questions), you will need a new motherboard.

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I thank you for your answer.

I have disconnected the RTC battery and pressed the power button in order to completely erase the CMOS but unfortunately without success. The sparekey was not filled then I cannot find the bios password while answering the 3 questions.

Would you have an idea ?

Best regards,

Pascal

HP Recommended

Hi, Pascal:

I'm sorry to say you need a new motherboard if you didn't turn on the HP Sparekey when you set the bios password.

It is too late to do anything now.

Paul

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi, Pascal:

I'm sorry to say you need a new motherboard if you didn't turn on the HP Sparekey when you set the bios password.

It is too late to do anything now.

Paul

I disagree with that. There are ways around this.

There are BIOS repair services that can replace your BIOS chip or reflash it. In the US companies like this are pretty easy to find, especially if you live near a major city. That should take care of the issue.  That is far less expensive than replacing the motherboard.  

Best regards,

erico

HP Recommended

The bios password memory is not dropped on these new systems when they get drained of battery.

But there is away to be able to change settings in the bios even though you dont know the administrator password and that is to install the HP protecttools.

When done you can login with the set hp protect tools user that you just setup under administrators in the user manager.

When you login to the bios then it will say there is a user that havent run for spare key and you will be asked to set 3 security questions.

But you can still not reset the bios admin password since its an uefi bios.

There is possably a work around for this to but since I could do what I want this way why bother trying 🙂

Hope this helps.

//Måsan

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.