Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example15z: Pavilion 6530
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT
Black screen + blinking cap locks + no boot

Hi. I have HP 15z laptop. I tried to re-set my laptop using an earlier date in windows 10 home. that process took 3 hrs and just kept displaying message initizing. I powered off the laptop and then turned it back on.message camp up that it was trying to repair my laptop. that went on for 3 hrs and nothing happened. I powered off my laptop and not all I get is a black screen with the cap lock key light blinking. I can hear the HD spinning but that's it.

Anyone know how I can bring my laptop back to life? Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@kpreston247 

I really wish folks would quit doing resets -- as that generally does nothing to fix the underlying issue and can lead to the laptop being trashed and useless -- which is what appears happened to yours.

Also, doing a system restore does not reset a laptop -- as it is nothing like the time machine folks think it is.  When you do a Windows Update, the system files being replaced, updated, or removed, are moved to a holding area.  When you do a System Restore, all it does is overwrite the current system files with the ones that were saved when you did the update.  That does nothing to address the issue you reported.

If the CapsLock key is blinking or there is beeping, read this HP information on the likely cause of the hardware failure based on the blinking or beeping patters.

For laptops, this HP thread describes the different blink and beep codes: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.