Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook
Unknown

Hi,

Had issues with HP Notebook, it booted up and said "the selected boot device failed". We completed the BIOS update but it is booting on a black screen. We are not stuck for ideas on how to fix this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

brad 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@zb_rad, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

This seems like a hardware issue with the PC. Let us try these steps that may resolve this issue:

Reset the boot order to the default settings

To reset the boot order to the default settings, follow the steps below.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.

2. While the display is blank, press the f10 key to enter the BIOS settings menu.

3. In the BIOS Setup utility, select the File tab.

4. Select Apply Defaults and Exit.

Perform a hardware test

1. Shutdown the computer using the power button (pressed and hold for a few seconds until PC powers off)
  2. Power the computer back on.
  3. As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap) before any logo appears. This should open a HP Startup Menu
  4. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Extensive test.
  5. Share the results.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your help. 

Turns out it was the hard drive failed so had to be replaced. 

HP Recommended

@zb_rad

That's Unfortunate. Please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it is a hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.