Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion

Hi, I switched on my HP Pavillion Windows 10 laptop and it went to the preparing automatic repair screen. After a very short time it went to a blank screen and stayed on there for quite sometime before I decided to shut it off.

No idea what's going on there, it's a rather new laptop as well so any help would be gladly appreciated

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I have the same problem and my laptop isn't even 90 days old. It started about 3 weeks ago and despite trying to find help I have never been able to get it to start Windows. I also had trouble making a recovery disc so I am out of luck. 

The first error message, which I ALWAYS get is "drm.exe". It says "unable to start correctly." Sometimes it's the only error dialog box that appears, but at other times additional dialog boxes will also pop up. I will list them. 

The second says "Host process for Windows Services has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program (but it doesn't and nothing happens). 

The third says "Shell Infrastructure Host has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." Nothing happens. The box doesn't close and no solution is ever given. 

A fourth that has popped up a few times says "Windows command processor has stopped working correctly. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I think I am going to return it to Walmart tomorrow. A few people in the tech community told me something like this should have NEVER happened so quickly. I learned that we are not the only people who have encountered this problem. Techs told me not to have it repaired and that I should insist on a new one only. 

I have to admit that I'm afraid to return it because I have personal information in it that I can't retrieve. But I was told that no one at Walmart will be able to access it Windows doesn't start--that whoever works on it will replace it with a new Windows program. 

What do any of you think about this? Is it possible that someone here could help me get this piece of crap running? Even if you can, should I still return it because of the severity of the problem that occurred in such a short time?

Thank you,

Gina

HP Recommended

Hi @GinaPA222,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you are having issues with the computer won't boot into windows anymore. Don't worry as I have a few steps which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the Product number of the PC?  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...)

Did you make any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Was there any update/reset interrupted recently?

Are you still using the original Win8.1 operating system or have you upgraded the operating system to Win10?

In the meantime, let's start off by performing a Hard Reset on the Notebook: A power reset (or hard restart) clears all information from the computer's memory without erasing any personal data. Performing a power reset might fix conditions such as Windows not responding, a blank display, software freezing, the keyboard stops responding, or other external devices locking up.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to run a System diagnostics test as well as an extensive test on the Hard drive and Memory from F2 (Please capture the failure ID for further assistance)

Depending on the test results, I would suggest here is to perform a Windows Refresh which allows you to refresh your computer without affecting your files. This can be useful to recover from a problem. The Refresh option is primarily a repair method - a way to return your computer to a known good state.

The following list shows what happens when you refresh your computer:

• Your files and personalization settings such as libraries, user accounts, and desktop themes are saved.

• The computer settings are returned to the defaults.

• Apps from the Windows store are reinstalled, and the settings are reset to their defaults. Internet connectivity is not required to reinstall these apps.

• Desktop apps are removed unless they were installed by the computer manufacturer. At the end of the refresh process, an HTML file called Removed Apps.html is placed on the desktop with a list of the desktop apps that were removed.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.