Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Stream 11
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Created Recovery Disk using SD card using HP program.

Now I am learning the Stream 11 can't boot from SD card.

What media should I use?

Why doesn't the HP program for creating the "recovery drive" provide a warning of this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi I See Your Problem Here You Need To Put The SD Card In A USB Card Reader To Turn Into A USB Flash Drive

However You Can Also Try This

Restart The PC Go Into The BIOS And Turn On Legacy Boot If Applicable

And Change Legacy Boot Order Making The USB Key In First Place Then Try To Boot To It

If Does Not Start Up Then Go In To Boot Device Options Find It And Boot To It

Good Luck!

Regards: 1029rjmenvy17t

Please 'KUDO' If You Like for Thumbs Up and 'Accept As Solution' If This Fixed Your Problem

To Help Other People Find This and Help Them Fix the Same or Similar Problems

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi I See Your Problem Here You Need To Put The SD Card In A USB Card Reader To Turn Into A USB Flash Drive

However You Can Also Try This

Restart The PC Go Into The BIOS And Turn On Legacy Boot If Applicable

And Change Legacy Boot Order Making The USB Key In First Place Then Try To Boot To It

If Does Not Start Up Then Go In To Boot Device Options Find It And Boot To It

Good Luck!

Please 'KUDO' If You Like for Thumbs Up and 'Accept As Solution' If This Fixed Your Problem

To Help Other People Find This and Help Them Fix the Same or Similar Problems

HP Recommended

I used a 8 GB USB thumb drive for the recovery media for my Stream 11 and it worked well.  I deleted all partitions from the eMMC drive and then recovered from the USB and the computer was restored back to out-of-the-box factory configuration. 

Some computers actually can boot from the SD slot so I guess the Recovery software does not know whether the Stream 11 can or not so it allows creating the media on the SD card.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the idea of using USB device to "convert the SD card.

I really don't know whay HP made creating recovery media so difficult other than they hope/expect to seel more copies of the media at $45 each to users that can't figure out how to create the recovery media themselves.

I do note that there is no simple command to "Create Recovery media" on the Stream 11 in the "PC settings link.

I just stumbled on the command when I created the SD card. Now I can't find the link again.

HP Recommended

Hi I' Am Glad It Helped:smileyvery-happy:

I Wish You Good Luck And Have Fun!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.