Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Laptop model: HP Pavilion dv6-6001tx

Hi,

I encountered this problem as well.

I have tried the method by Lil_Lisa27. The problem seems to be solved after using msconfig to disable all startup programs and services and reboot. I left it a while (1 to 2 hrs) and it seems ok.

I tried using Chrome and the problem will be back up after a while. I restarted, and tried playing my online game without touching my browser, but problem will still occur after a while. After the occurance of these problems, restarting using the msconfig method also does not help, as browser open up by itself once restarted.

I have also tried reformating a couple of times, and there are times that the problem occur straight after the reformat on IE. Change default browser doesn't help, as the problem immediately switch to the next browser (uninstall chrome, problem on IE). I have also tried on both Windows 7 (recovery disc for my laptop) & Windows 8 systems. It also occur on safe mode. Using battery or direct plug in to power doesnt matter as well. Tried removing hardware such as keyboard and mouse, and also does not solve this problem.

Please advise if there is anything else that can be done.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for the information. A couple of questions that I would like to confirm with you. What type of firewall are you currently using? Do you have the same issue when the firewall is turned off/disabled? When these windows do open up, is it directing you to go to a specific page?

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am currently using the windows firewall, with Avast Antivius (was using Window Security Essential when the problem 1st occur). I have not tried to off the firewall before. Do you mean try to off the firewall when this occurs?

When the windows pop up, it will direct to the homepage (whatever that you have set).

Sometimes the windows doesnt pop up, but the browser will keep refreshing to the homepage. You can "simulate" this by pressing the home button rapidly.

This problem will recover for sometime, lets say a day without usage, and problem might come back after a few hrs.

Please advise.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for the information. Once you start your computer for the day, try turning off your avast anti-virus before doing anything else. This could be causing the browser windows to open. Do you still get the browser window opening?

Another step that you can try (and I know this may sound silly). Disconnect from the internet, and stay disconnected for a period of time. Say for the length of time that it takes for the browser to open by itself. Do you still get the same pop up?

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have been working on 2 days on gaming and it seem to be ok for now. Before the last 2 days, while doing the msconfig fix, I have actually disable Avast during starting up. Problem still occur right after restart.

I have not tried to work offline recently, but I have tried previously to disconnect once the problem occur and restart the laptop last time, and the problem occur right after restart.

It is not a regular event, it could be clear for a few days and come back after that. When this happen, the best I can do is just shut down and give the laptop one day break before using.

Will try your solutions and update if i have any problems.

HP Recommended

Did you get it fixed and if so HOW....I am having the same prob.......reformating did not help .....

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the solution on post #10. I have not been using my laptop nowadays but its seems to be ok when i use it. I believe this will disable some of the HP build in function, that might be causing this issue.

Do update if the problem still persist.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

It did nothing. I have a hp dv7 . No matter what browser I am using, when it is opened it will revert back to the home page after a few min.  I hit the back key and my page is back. Some times it will open a new window. 

I have reformated the harddrive with a clean windows  7 home prem disk, removed  other partitions that were there .

I have also flashed the bios.   nothing works it just keep on going home. I have run spyware and malware programs and noting. I have look on here all day ....

HP Recommended

Hello bruce28512,

If you have performed all of the steps from this forum thread and your computer is still having the same issue, please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Best regards,

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Update.........

After LOTS of reading I fixed it.  I had a BIOS bug/virus.  I unplugged the batteries back up to the BIOS with the power off. Unplug main power. Then I let it set over night wit no power to anything. Next morning I held down the power button for 30 sce to just make sure all power was drained off. I plugged back in the batteries back to BIOS, plugged  main power back in and rebooted. 

Reset time/date and all has been well for they last 48 hrs.

I hope that this helps some.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.