Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I can not open windows live mail and some other programs also a lot of installers won't work because of this.

I get the following error:

wlmail.exe - Bad Image

C:\Windows\System32\wship6.dll is either not designed to run on
                 Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using
                 the original installation media or contact your system administrator or
                 the software vendor for support

I had to click OK 4 or 5 times to get it to go away

A lot of installers won't work because of this.

System Info:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD A6-3400M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 18 Model 1 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 5610 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6520G, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 595354 MB, Free - 401604 MB; 😧 Total - 14820 MB, Free - 1647 MB; F: Total - 99 MB, Free - 89 MB; G: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 877240 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 358B
Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is what I did to fix it:

I had to replace the c:\windows\sysWOW64\wship6.dll file not the c:\windows\system32\wship6.dll file

I had to boot into Windows Recovery Environment, load command prompt and replace the c:\windows\sysWOW64\wship6.dll file from a working w7 system (I used a oem iso and 7zip)

1 copy the file to a convient place on my boot drive (c: in my case))

2 restart your computer press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again; to do this, wait until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shut down and restart your computer.

3 Select Repair your computer and press Enter.

4 select the command prompt option

5 type bcdedit | find "osdevice" (note that there is a space after bcdedit and the | and also after find) this will tell you what drive letter to use to get to your boot drive (d: in my case)

6 type the drive letter followed by a : (d: in my case) and press Enter the prompt should change to <driveletter>: (d: in my case)

7 type copy <your convient place>wship6.dll windows\syswow64\wship.dll ( replace <your convient place> with the full path to where you put the file)(note the space between .dll and windows)

If this does not work you may have to replace syswow64 with system32 in all of the instructions above

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

That is a windows system file, try a repair

run System File Checker and then restart the pc when SFC is done, may take a while to complete

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

HP Recommended

I have run sfc /scannow  then restarted I have also done this sequence multiple times in a row (more than 3 times).

sfc reports that wship6.dll cannot be repaired because the file in the cache is also corrupt.

HP Recommended

you will need to copy that file from a working W7 pc, be sure it is the same bit version as yours (32 or 64), then copy the file into the C:\Windows\"System32" folder

HP Recommended

I have tried this but I can't get past the permissions or it is in use can't remember which

HP Recommended

you will have to copy the good file to an easy place to find, then boot into Windows Recovery Environment, load command prompt then copy it to the proper place using the command prompt.

HP Recommended

I can't figure out how to get to c:\ it opens in a drive called x:\ and i cant cd to any other drive

HP Recommended

OK I figured out how to copy the new wship6.dll file but the problem still exists, any more ideas?

HP Recommended

Ok I got it !!!!!!!!

I had to replace the c:\windows\sysWOW64\wship6.dll file

YEA its finaly fixed !!!!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Here is what I did to fix it:

I had to replace the c:\windows\sysWOW64\wship6.dll file not the c:\windows\system32\wship6.dll file

I had to boot into Windows Recovery Environment, load command prompt and replace the c:\windows\sysWOW64\wship6.dll file from a working w7 system (I used a oem iso and 7zip)

1 copy the file to a convient place on my boot drive (c: in my case))

2 restart your computer press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again; to do this, wait until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shut down and restart your computer.

3 Select Repair your computer and press Enter.

4 select the command prompt option

5 type bcdedit | find "osdevice" (note that there is a space after bcdedit and the | and also after find) this will tell you what drive letter to use to get to your boot drive (d: in my case)

6 type the drive letter followed by a : (d: in my case) and press Enter the prompt should change to <driveletter>: (d: in my case)

7 type copy <your convient place>wship6.dll windows\syswow64\wship.dll ( replace <your convient place> with the full path to where you put the file)(note the space between .dll and windows)

If this does not work you may have to replace syswow64 with system32 in all of the instructions above

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.