Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15 bs-076nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to know where my Win10 key is written, in addition to the fact it's in the BIOS. I've changed the one in the BIOS not realizing it wasn't also on an included piece of paper or the box the computer came in. I bought this laptop in October, model number is bs076n5, product number is 1KV03UA#ABA. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you are doing a clean install using the iso from Microsoft it will be retrieved automatically. Or you can use the attached file to extract it.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The only place it is stored or written is in BIOS. How did you change it? 

HP Recommended

What the hell, really? It used to be on a sticker on every computer or computer box sold. 

You can change it in your settings in Windows. I got a new hard drive and entered a different serial that my friend gave me and it turned out to be invalid but it replaced the old one embedded in the bios regardless. 

HP Recommended

@GarrettGuimond

The license key has not been on the outside since Windows 7. This started with Windows 8 in an attempt to help people not be faced with a worn label and illegible key- also stopped theft of keys.

Changing it in Windows does not alter the original key in BIOS. Actually the one you see in Windows is not even the legit key. It is the volume license key that HP uses in installing Windows on the production line.

HP Recommended

How can I get the key from the bios?

HP Recommended

If you are doing a clean install using the iso from Microsoft it will be retrieved automatically. Or you can use the attached file to extract it.

HP Recommended

THANK YOU

HP Recommended

YOU'RE THE BEST

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. Happy to help...and thank you.:)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.