Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 dk0090ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I've got my HP Pavilion gaming laptop 15-dk0090ur (serial number is cnd9465rww) unable to boot from any media.

This morning I noticed that the laptop was on but the screen was blank and with no reaction to any buttons.

So far I have tried different restoring procedures as holding Windows Key + B (did bios restore but no luck with booting), making different system checks (motherboard, storage, RAM, CPU and etc, everything was passed).

I've also tried to boot from a different USB stick with Ubuntu 20.04 image, but no luck - it hangs with a single underscore character printed on and I'm 100% percent sure the USB stick is fine as I was using it to install OS to a different laptop a week ago.

What else I did was resetting RAM and checking other cable connections (like NVME disk).

Need help in bringing it back to life asap or at least in diagnosing what is wrong to get a spare part.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@MikleZZzz 

The single flashing underscore means that you attempt to boot from the Ubuntu USB stick failed -- as that screen indicates it was still trying to boot from the hard drive.

This usually means the drive has failed -- so did you check the drive using the HP diagnostics?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood thanks for Your suggestion. It is strange but it seems it was some kind of Windows boot process issue. The boot process is so unclear, without any console logs, a complete disaster. What I did was running a complete system test for a couple of times (no errors, all checks were passed). After all, it started booting ok, maybe with a little delay, but at least it works now. Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.