Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15s-fq1510na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Been having some issues of late with Wi-fi not finding any signal. Just restarted laptop and W10 says PIN not available, use PW. Guess what, daughter can’t remember PW as been using PIN for so long. So now can’t login, PIN disabled, PW can’t remember and the Wi-fi is not seeing anything to connect to. This laptop is Wi-fi only, no NIC port installed. When I try to restore laptop it ask for password. What can I do ? I think it will let me reset the pc altogether but I’d rather not until I’ve checked that there’s nothing on there she needs.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Wozza68 

Assuming you have been making backups of the daughter's data (personal files and folders), the easier option is to reload the OS using a method that does not require you to know the login password.

If you / daughter do not make backups of the personal data, then you will want to investigate less extreme methods.

Password Help on the Community

Unfortunately, we cannot assist with this beyond providing basic information.

Community members are prohibited providing any information that can / will breach the computer's security.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Start Here and work your way down the list. 

The last option (Reset) can be used if other solutions fail.

HP PCs - Change or Reset the Computer Password (Windows 10)

If you are using a Microsoft Account to log into the computer,

You might  be able to get help from Microsoft.

Reminder:  You can reset your Microsoft password using a different computer

Microsoft Account – Password Reset

When you can't sign in to your Microsoft account

--------------------------------------------------------

What else?

A licensed Microsoft Technician can likely provide you access to the computer. 

Be prepared to show proof of ownership.

If you are using a Chromebook / Google Account,

You might be able to get help from Google.

Read the document and then check under “Get more help

Fix sign-in problems - Chromebook Help - Google Support

Our Policy -- Password Help on the Community

According to the Community's Rules of Participation

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Thread will be locked.

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Notebook 15s-fq1510na 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.