Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 m3-u001dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After changing settings in the bios to allow me to boot from a USB device windows will no longer startup. It attempts to start then reboots to the automatic repair function. I am not sure what setting change caused this however I have  tried setting the bios defaults as well as trying to change settings to what I think they were but I'm not sure.

It was the following options that likely changed

Legacy support = Enabled

Secure Boot = Disabled

TPM Device = Available

TPM State = ?

Clear TPM = Yes

Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) = enabled

No matter how I change these settings I always get a failed boot and Automatic repair screen.

Ive tried:

a hard reset

Repair 

Reset Windows

clear TPM

Restore security settings to factory defaults

I'm at a loss for things to try, please help

Thank you for any help you could provide.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@bandit420

Welcome to HP support community.

Run Extensive system test to check for hardware failures.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error. While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen.

Reply with the test results for further assistance.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Upon attempting this test it fails almost immediately on the battery check: Primary - Weak (30)

Failure ID: GLMWOX-8319P9-GXGK6J-COBF03

Product ID: W2L17UAR#ABA

I did try the component test on the HDD but it passed.

One thing I did try was booting from an old HDD from a similar age HP laptop and it booted fine so I booted from a  USB stick into GPARTED and what it looked like was the partition order was different. The first partition was NOT the FAT32. For some reason the FAT32 was the 2nd partition but i'm not sure how that could have changed on its own since I wasn't changing any partitions.

I'm currently running the component test on the HDD but this time I selected the extensive option as you suggested and I will advise the results of that test ASAP.

HP Recommended

@bandit420

Yes, run the extensive test and let me know the result for further troubleshooting steps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ran the test but it never failed. Passed over and over again.

It looks like Windows starts booting with the HP logo and spinning circle then the screen flashes just before it restarts itself. After it attempts to restart it says your computer didn't start properly.

HP Recommended

@bandit420

If the test passes, then the next option is to perform a system recovery either using the recovery partition or using the recovery media: Perform F11 recovery, or restore the system using HP recovery media.

1. Restart the computer and press F11.

If you can't enter F11 recovery, perform a System recovery using:

HP supplied recovery media

1. Select Troubleshoot.
  2. Select Recovery Manager
  3. Select System Recovery.
  4. Select Back up your files first (recommended).
  5. Select Next and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery.

For some reason, if this does not help then I would suggest you could try to use HP Cloud Recovery Tool which allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive.

If this option does not work then you can follow this link: HP PCs - Obtaining PC Recovery USB Drives or Discs Or else you may contact our HP support team to help you order a set of recovery media for your PC.

HP support team can be reached on this link

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.