cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Cannot find Boot Drive

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-e049wm
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

After solving the issue with the administrator/power on password, my notebook is now telling me:

"Cannot find boot drive, please install operating system....

Hard Disk (3F0)"

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,194 10,190 959 2,793
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That message could mean the hard drive has failed, but it could also mean the boot manager was corrupted so it cannot find the Windows install.  Start by looking in the BIOS to see if the hard drive is still recognized.  If it is there, run the diagnostics for the hard drive.  This error might have something to do with the method that was imployed to solve the administrator/power on password problem.  If the hard drive is found and passes the diagnostics, then post back for help on the next steps.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There is an F2 option to perform quick check or extended check on the HD, however I get the response:

"Smart Check:   not installed"

"Short DST:  Not installed"

-------------

For more information, please visit:  www.hp.com/go/techcenter/pcdiags

*Back to Main Menu*

I am assuming that this is the BIOS Check....I could be wrong.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,194 10,190 959 2,793
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That result would seem to indicate the hard drive has failed or became disconnected.  In the previous encounters was any opening of the laptop case made?  Even if the answer is no, you will need to get inside to replace the hard drive. With the access to the hard drive, first verify the connections.  Assuming those to be good, then the hard drive needs to be replaced.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!

Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just FYI, when I turn the laptop on, I do hear the harddrive 'trying to spin'.  Sounds like its winding up making an attempt to spin at full RPM but stops after that and I get the aforementioned dialogs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,194 10,190 959 2,793
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That would indicate the power connection is probably OK but the possibilities of a loose connection on the data lead or the hard drive has failed are still real.  It will still require opening the laptop.  You might as well prepare for the hard drive replacement.

I'm not an HP employee.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation